Can somebody with a PRI PDC (verified) give a PDC certificate to a newbie?

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Biochar, Sep 8, 2014.

1. grantvdm

grantvdm Junior Member

Metallurgist
    Lekker Lekker! Dyllos. I'm back again! Been busy gaining experience in the garden... Thanks for the open information and documentation. We have had good news lately! There is a PDC currently on the way in Okahandja, Namibia (https://noa.org.na/content/news/2015-02-permaculture). My friend and 40 others have enrolled for this coarse. My friend is however concerned again with the certification of the course. As I mentioned earlier we have gone through all the detail of the PDC already, but he just wants to get certified. According to the lead teacher the certificate is not important, it's the knowledge gained that is important; i.e. it's seems like there will be no certificate at the end of this course, just an attendance note. I've checked the lead teachers profile on the global website, and PDC that he took is not verified yet either... I totally agree with the teacher, the knowledge gained is the most important, but why do we go through the whole effort of being certified?

This course is costing my friend the same as Geoff's online course would have cost him, plus he informs me that they are using Geoff's online course videos to run the course, that I've already borrowed to him to watch in the mean time, two weeks of the same stuff, but no certificate...

On the one hand I am very excited for Namibia! 40 people interested in permaculture at once and doing a PDC is a great leap for a county with a population of only 3 million people!! I'm really glad and excited that they will be gaining this knowledge, but then on the other hand, I am still very confused with the whole certified permaculturalist thing! As we understand it (my friend and I), permaculture, or at least the term permaculture is owned by the PRI as stated by Bill Mollison. So for you to rightly say you are a permaculture designer you should be certified by the PRI? Will my friend be able to get certified by the PRI after this course?

2. dyllos

dyllos Junior Member

Hey, was wondering where you had got to... ;)

The PDC looks professionally set up. The course cost of N$3200 = AU$343 - much more affordable than Geoff's course. 40 people enrolled is fantastic. I have checked in the Designers Manual and perhaps your concerns are valid. Let's see if anyone else knows for sure about the institute thing as it was published in his manual a long time ago now.. perhaps it has been superseded or just ignored the world over(?)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. rowan

rowan Junior Member

I think it could in principle be offered online, but would require very motivated students to make it work well. I doubt it would be anything like as good. PC requires skill learning as well as knowledge. It means spending time engaging in tasks that the students would have to devise themselves with their local resources. Could you teach riding a bike online? Hmm, maybe, but the student would have to have a bike and spend the time practicing. I think the group learning process wouldn't work as well online, and I'm not sure that problem based learning works well if it isn't group learning. It's too dependent on one student learning everything for themselves - it would be too much work. So probably it works much better face-to-face.

[Oops, just found this tab unposted - sorry]

4. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

As one of Geoff's online students I can tell you without a doubt that using Geoff's videos to teach is ILLEGAL. So this teacher has thrown ethics out the window, and I am disappointed in him. I doubt you will ever get a cert from him now.

The reason for a PRI PDC for me... well, I graduated last year as a bonafied Designer, Consultant, and Teacher. However to teach properly, I need to inform PRI and get help. Teaching properly is not easy, and I literally went over everything, for every climate that is in the Designers Manual... ..and I am still learning daily via observations.

Geoff also had us learn several other new courses he is teaching a Reading the Landscape course, and a Earthwork course in which we watched, learned, gabbed over a dam being built.

I enjoyed my class, and I enjoyed having Geoff going over my final design for the property I chose.

Feel free to ask more questions.

5. grantvdm

grantvdm Junior Member

Metallurgist
    Hi Pakanohida, Thanks for your view.

I've been doing a whole lot of soul searching on this topic the past few weeks...

I have taken Geoff's first online course and that's why I have stated that they used his videos as teaching material. Without permission from Geoff this would be unethical yes. I'm sure Geoff would not mind us sharing his videos though, or at least his TED talk on the Tipping Point indicates that? That brings me to the point I would like to make:

Is Permaculture really about getting a PRI certificate, or is about spreading the knowledge of design that is in the Permaculture Manual? After my soul searching and viewing of a lot of videos on Youtube lately on all the natural disasters, most of which are direct impacts caused by climate change due to human activity (my view), I have come to the conclusion that the PRI certificate is not that important. I do however agree that one needs to manage the quality of knowledge that is going out, but the knowledge needs to be spread, and it needs to spread fast! The rate at which "natural" disasters are occurring these days is alarming, and at the rate we are going we do not have enough time...

Do not get me wrong, I am not saving the planet as I write this as well! :-( I am currently employed as a metallurgist at a uranium mine and have been STUCK here to earn a living to basically feed my family (2 kids and a wife).... I am however practicing permaculture on a rental property I currently live on, and have taught at least two of my friends some permaculture principals, using the DVDs Geoff has given us as well. The one friend is who we've been talking about that wants to get a certificate, and the other just grows his own food at home current. The certificate needing friend has gone on to mentor one of his friends who is actually busy quitting his day job to move onto a farm that my friend has designed with input from myself. They in turn intend to teach all their neighbors by demonstration of permaculture on site at the farm (wish I could join them, but my wife says they are hippies...hehehe!), and all this without the certificate...

I am really glad that 40 of my country men have gotten this knowledge, even though it is not PRI certificates. Now we just need to practice it much much more...