Can I even surf ever again? Or... The Case of Nuclear Tuna

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Pakanohida, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

So, recently in the town of Bandon, OR... ..some 20 miles by river, 12 by car has not only sprayed in the estuary to kill mosquitos without a care to the harm of the crabs, & zooplankton which have died off. That in my area is bad enough.

We all know about Chernobyl & Fukashima.. both totally out of control... STILL.

Well, now I have this gem.

ALL Tuna collected off CA Shores is radiated.

Let me type that once more...

ALL Tuna collected off CA Shores is radiated.

Reuters: https://rt.com/usa/tuna-fukushima-radiation-238/ ((February this year, I am trying to find the article I read yesterday))

So what does this mean for the surfer in me? Should I? Shouldn't I?

Nuclear debris is still landing on our shores, the amount of radiated water released into the ocean is well beyond what Japan ever admitted to the world according to NOAA's latest satellite work. What of Alaska, Washington State & my State? What of Hawai'i & the rest of the Pacific?

What of the atmospheric radiation?

As Geoff Lawton knows, surfing is one of the best feelings in the world... ..and if I can't do it without severly risking my health more then the sport normally requires of me I will be unsure if I will ever do it again, let alone SCUBA dive.

At least Samhain is coming along with a new year.

2. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Maybe I need radiation level patches for diving & surfing? Do they even make them outside the military?

3. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Here is the article I read yesterday. Note the date. Sept. 30, this year.

https://beforeitsnews.com/alternati...ht-in-california-are-radioactive-2780202.html

ALL.

4. annette

annette Junior Member

Yes it's really sad isn't it Paka. You have to wonder why people aren't protesting in the streets about this. I've read too that there is more to come from Fukashima, more probs and more radiation.

Now they are going to grow food within the radiation zone

https://intellihub.com/2013/10/02/tokyo-fast-food-chain-grow-food-stock-radiation-zone/

Now here is the thing. I have a friend with a son who as booked a holiday in Japan. This kid and I have had many conversations about Fukishima. I again highlighted the bullshit going on there and that it is not safe to eat or drink there. No body home, the airfares are cheap. I give up.

Crazy world, frogs in the pot.

5. matto

matto Junior Member

Tuna are migratory fish. One was tracked to have crossed the Pacific from Japan 3 times in 600 days, clocking up just under 25000 miles. The raditation levels are highly diluted by the time the reach your shores, but tuna are top level predators so will accumulate radiation levels. Is there studies that show radiatiion levels off the coast?

I dont know about you, but there isnt much that keeps me out of the water. Polynesia was a test site for nuclear bombs, and people still surf and eat fish there.

Stay away from seafood, and go get barrelled.

6. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Actually, the US moved the indigenous people away from Bikini Atoll and relocated them to Rongerik Atoll, however during the Bravo test, they still got exposed. :( That action caused all the oceans to be radiated which has diluted by the time I had learned to surf. Cesium if I remember right actually floats around in the ocean, it does not sink readily.

Tuesday Surf forecast:

9' to 10' waves from the NW
    Period is 10 seconds

Light cross-offshore breeze is expected at 5 to 10mph.

Note: Seals are now active in the area again.

I do like getting barreled like I was at Backdoor. :)

7. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

8. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

9. matto

matto Junior Member

While Fukushima has put the population of Pacific Bluefin Tuna in danger, decades of over-fishing and unsustainable practises has seen a 96% drop in their population, according to PEW https://www.pewenvironment.org/news...-tuna-population-down-964-percent-85899441247

Why isn't it listed as endangered on the IUCN redlist? Industry interests from Japan and other nations have vested interest in keeping it off the red list so they can exploit the species. Same goes with the Atlantic Bluefin, where the management body have not imposed scientific recommendations. Some go as far as saying that Mitsubishi are investing in the extinction of the species https://www.treehugger.com/corporat...opes-to-profit-from-bluefin-tuna-decline.html

All the major fisheries are in decline, thats why fish is off the menu for me.

10. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Maybe you could start a new line of surfing apparel for the dedicated surfer - fully lead lined....

11. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

I removed seafood from my menu mostly because of radiation and the BP oil spill. Seeing as fukushima is still leaking radioactive water(300 gallons per day?), I don't see eating fish until I make my own ponds to cultivate them. Most of humanity eats seafood to sustain themselves, so the unsustainable nature of fishing is another symptom that we are taxing the resources of this planet. They're the trees of the ocean, so to speak.

12. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

So, we should be encouraging this seafood radioactive idea, just to be on the safe side health-wise, and maybe there will be less fishing pressure...

13. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

14. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Just found this:

https://www.solidarityeconomy.net/2013/10/05/one-more-reason-nukes-are-a-bad-idea/

[​IMG]

15. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

About what Gandalf said, I thought I posted it here. Yesterday I was near the ocean and found warning signs regarding nuclear debris and what to do when certain items are found on the beach.

16. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

The clean up may be why the US EPA increased the radiation limits that humans can tolerate. Any potential employee would be told the radiation exposure is below EPA limits...

17. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Really? This deserved a facebook account?

[​IMG]

Note that this also messes with international maritime salvage rights. (re: derelict boats)

18. 9anda1f

Climate:
    The bottom line:
    "... because the disaster is still in progress and is likely to remain in progress for many years, if not decades."
    note the link within this essay to an article about moving the fuel rods.

"Fukushima and Our Inability to Gauge Risk"
    https://www.resilience.org/stories/2013-10-06/fukushima-and-our-inability-to-gauge-risk

19. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I tried looking for a device to let me know when I am exposed to too much. My options were stickers, 5 for $25, or a key chain device used by my officials in my country, available to the public for $175US.

Ugh.

20. 9anda1f

Climate:
    TEPCO is beginning the long drawn-out effort to remove 1500+ fuel rods from a cooling pool near reactor #4 (numbers 1,2, & 3 completely melted down and are unapproachable). This is a very dangerous undertaking, but also imperative as further magnitude 7+ earthquakes could fracture the pool, release the water, and cause runaway fission reaction of the rods. Mistakes/errors in removing the rods could also cause radioactive releases and the rods are quite fragile (they're all a-jumble within the pool). Rock ... meet hard place.

https://www.globalresearch.ca/scientists-warn-of-extreme-risk-greatest-short-term-threat-to-humanity-is-from-fukushima-fuel-pools/5357344?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=scientists-warn-of-extreme-risk-greatest-short-term-threat-to-humanity-is-from-fukushima-fuel-pools

There are efforts around the world to send "energy" to aid these efforts to repair the wound that is Fukushima ... here is one of them: https://laurabruno.wordpress.com/2013/11/08/michael-pilarski-prayers-to-the-devas-of-radioactive-elements/

Anyhow, something to be aware of during the weeks and months ahead while this work goes on.