Can anyone tell me the cultivar name of a huge, tender, snow-pea-like climber ...

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Tree hugger, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Tree hugger

Tree hugger Junior Member

Can anyone please tell me the cultivar/market name of a snow pea-like climber with HUGE tender pods that I met, and sampled, in BC, Canada, last September? My friend had no idea f its actual name...

It looked essentially like a snow pea, but the pods were up to and in excess of 20cms long and quite pale, but VERY sweet and crunchy. I didn't bring seeds home with me, because that just isn't responsible, but I SO long for the chance to grow those yummy pods here in Oz.

I've seen things like Snow pea 'melting mammoth' in various seed catalogues, but they refer to tender seeds rather than tender pods, in fact their distributors suggest that the pods are simply not tender at great size and they are more a shelling pea.

Any suggestions please, and, if possible, could people please let me know if they are familiar with a source for same? Thank you. :p

2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

3. Tree hugger

Thank you, Grasshopper. I did find some similar to those on other sites/catalogues, but the one I have in mind had HUGE pods, and it was the pod, rather than the pea, which was succulent and tender/crisp...

I will search further along that second link you gave me, as that had various options, but I'm still very open to further responses, thank you all :)

4. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

could the huge size be a response to long daylight hours/????

5. Tree hugger

Maybe???????? There were quite long daylight hours in BC, given the time of year we visited... That is interesting.... I certainly haven't come up with anything else yet, but my hubby is now saying that it was more rounded than a usual snowpea, even though he thinks it wasn't a sugar snap type, so I am really confused... all I know is that it was really long, and crisp, and sweet, and tender, and had it not been growing in Canada I would have pocketed the seed and happily know that one day, in cooler weather, I'd be chomping on it again :):):)

6. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Might be...

...Oregon Snow Pea.

or Oregon Snow Pea II.

I grow both here in South Central Coastal Oregon. This variety is very common in the Pacific Northwest.

7. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member