Calling All West Aussies

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Tezza, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Gday all us westerners......

Are u like me...Wondering if anyone in the west is still doing Permaculture..

Wanting to Meet any other Permies..

Wanting to take/Do.Conduct Permie Lessons..

Wanting to Get Permaculture out and about a bit more....

Wanting to have a Permie Bulliten board or just a west Oz section in here?

Is the west Oz Permie association still going? (iv used their links to no avail)

Any other sugestions?

Tezza

2. Sonya

Sonya Junior Member

Hi Tezza,

The latest mag from the Uni of Western Australia has a feature story about one of their lecturers who has written a book about harvesting in the suburbs including permaculture...

https://uwanews.publishing.uwa.edu.au/__ ... 060619.pdf

It's a start perhaps...

Good luck,
    Sonya.

3. RobWindt

RobWindt Junior Member

4. Sonya

Sonya Junior Member

Josh Byrne - of course!

Sonya.

5. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Thanks for your replies and Handy links,am going thru em now......

What i really meant ,was,Theres a lots of West ozzies who have done/or doing Permaculture here in the west,and probly got around 20 westies overtime thru this board...Unfortunatly/or fortunatly i live in a country Town,Miles from anywhere,so not much gets around,Hence in here most days 8) 8) :lol: :lol: ...

I know the majority of posters from WA are rural and wonder if they feel the same....

Tezza

6. Ev

Ev Junior Member

Us from WA(the permaculture state) I wish

Hello from Balga PErth WA do not know about separate online forum as I think it would be too quiet,just to know my fellow WA people online could lead to more though, say a member list by area

7. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Hey Sir Muzza..If you been reading this post i hope you have..........

Is there anyway possible for ..say a regional area erm Sorta Yellow pages for Individual Permaculture type of adverts..A sort of Permament link to be easily accessed,via Our board?

Tezza

8. Stacm

Stacm Junior Member

Hi Terence
    The Permaculture Association of WA still exists. They met on the first wednesday of every month at 315 Bagot Road Subiaco
    the web site is
    https://pawa.permaculturewest.org/

Ross Mars is running a PDC in July I think - I saw it advertised in the course bit of this forum, I think he's also the secretary for PAWA so you contact him for further permie news
    [email protected]

I'm also a member of the OGA here which has groups all over the place (not near Broomehill but you could always get a group going). We have lots of permies in our freo group and some biodynamic people and some 'oldies' who have been growing organically for longer than they like to admit so they're a great resource

Here's the OGA website
    https://www.ogawa.org.au/

I reckon breaking the "whats on" bit of this forum into regions or states would help- although with WA it'd be good to break it into regions within the state
    hope this helps
    Stacm

9. frosty

frosty Junior Member

Hey tezza

I am still round and still trying to grow stuff organically

always wanting to learn more but not into the permies scene or courses or meetings cause they all wear perfume :lol: :lol:

frosty

10. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

As Stacm said Tezza, the W.A. permies are around and active, I spoke with one just a couple of weeks ago. I guess theres just not much of an online presence for W.A. though.

I like the idea of the online contact list for different areas, but unfortunately I think that you run into problems with publishing contact details on the board. I remember Mussa telling us at one stage to make our email addresses so they could not be viewed. I personally don't want any more jusk email/phonecalls/mail thatn what I get at the moment... :x I had one last night that was a recorded voice ringing me up to say in a very strong American accent, ' Congratulations, you've one a trip to florida, Cancoon, etc, etc. All accomodation and expenses paid for , plus you also get a free cruise, press 9 now to claim your prize.' :evil:

I wonder whether that is because I have published my phone number on the net.. :?

11. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Just To Inform The Permie of West Aussie stil hasnt answered my email,Thats the 4 th time i got no answer....

As for the Organic Assc well Ive given them up as well now....

How the heck can Organics/Permaculture Progress if NO ONE ANSWERS their Mail..

Im not complaining too Loud but Whats going on here....If their short of People to answer phones or Email ...Well Ill Do it...

Tezza

12. Forest Fairy

Forest Fairy Junior Member

Aren't you allowed to practice permie and wear perfume???
    What is the go with "product" for my pink hair???

:(

13. frosty

frosty Junior Member

jules there is nothing to say people cant wear perfume and practice permaculture

but for many people like me exposure to perfume is life threatening

modern perfume ( and hair dye too ) is made from a coctail of very toxic petroleum based chemicals virtually the same stuff as paint thinners

IMHO knowing that permaculture is about looking after the planet it does seem a bit hypocritical to walk arround polluting it and making people sick with VOCs :?

frosty

14. Forest Fairy

But Frosty, I wear nice perfume from the Organic shop. You know the one that all the hippies wear that has that faint overtone of patchouli.
    Is it the same for that??? It is an oil so doesn't get sprayed into the ozone only goes on my skin...
    How come makes you ill??

15. Forest Fairy

My apologies Frosty if I offended you. I thought that there was something witty hidden in the mentioning of perfume at permie meetings. No need to go there again. Found the xpn on the other board after reading about Chemical Sensitivity.
    It is awful that being exposed to some chemicals that are obviously deemed safe by some bright spark can entirely change a persons life for ever. Sounds like extremely hard work. The way the world is going too you just have to always be on the lookout.
    We really do take our lives for granted most of the time.

J

16. frosty

frosty Junior Member

Hi jules

I am glad you dont wear the nasty stuff ....... it harms everyone even those who wear it and dont notice its effects :cry:

some essential oils are ok for me but a lot are not or mysekf i just avoid all of them ......

organic essential oils are cold pressed so can be alright but even so some have very strong natural turpines which can be a problem ...... when you are chemcially sensitive you can also get get sensitised to natural plant turpines

the other esential oils are usually solvent extracted so they still contain solvents and the effects is really not much different

you are right that being chemically sensitive is hard work :lol: and it is getting increasingly difficult even just to find somewhere safe to live !

frosty

17. JULIE IN WA

JULIE IN WA New Member

CALLING ALL WEST AUSSIES

Hi Tezza,

I have just joined this Permaculture site on the internet (my first one ever) I thought it was really cool all the stuff you can find on here. I too live in Western Australia Kenwick (Perth) to be exact. I initially did a google search to look for "Chook Domes" I am in the late stages of building a chook dome as discribed by Linda Woodrow in her permaculture book. I did a search and it lead me to a discussion in these pages somewhere and I was amazed to see so much feedback because I have had a couple of struggles with putting it together and would have loved to just pick up the phone to Linda and ask her advise. As that is not possible this site has proved invaluable in her absence. I have met Josh Byrne recently at the garden show held in Perry Lakes recently and he is awwwwsome. I ran past him the idea of a mandela and he said that they were great and looked really pretty but the only concern that he would have is that perhaps it would not allow for crop planting as sometimes they were inter planted quite a lot. He is really funny and so easy to talk to. I was really impressed. I am not too into anything planting let alone permaculture yet as I am literally just starting out in my house that I have lived in for 6 years. After finally fixing up the stuff to make it livable now we are turning our hand to the backyard to make it livable with healthy fruits and vegies. I would be particularly interested in hearing Perth stories for any subject as I will be crossing each subject as I progress with my "Life Garden". Sorry this is so long but I am very excited as you have proberbly picked up. P.s. Hi to everyone else around Australia too. I have seen some of the pictures in these chat areas and am amazed and a little green with envy that you have all achieved so much great stuff. Especially being fully sustainable. My Dream!!!!!!

18. Nadine

Nadine New Member

Calling West Aussies

Hey there everyone :D
    Like Julie in WA, this is my very first entry into any rooms. I found this site by entering 'Permaculture'. I'm not really very literate when it comes to computers.
    It was great reading all of the entries and I can commiserate and empathise with a few of you out there. To be chemically sensitive is very hard in this 'modern' world. Too bad there are so many complacent people out there who feel that the little they can do, won't do any good, so don't bother.
    We West Aussies who are Permie aware, should stick together.
    I've not done any courses but read whatever I can find on Organics and Permaculture.
    Take care, stay safe and be happy :) :) :D :D

19. frosty

frosty Junior Member

Hi Nadine and welcome :D

I used to live down your way in Waroona ....... great place for growing things ....... we were scared to go on holiday in case the lawn covered the house while we werent there to mow it :lol: :lol:

frosty

20. JULIE IN WA

JULIE IN WA New Member

Hi Nadine pretty daunting isn't it? Hi Frosty (fellow West Aussie) Does anyone have any information on how you go designing a self sufficient house from scratch? I would love to find out how to draw up plans based on sun capture, rain fall, double glazed windows, heat and cold controlled etc.

I know that there must be basic principles that you must need to follow but from that point on I guess that it relies on elements of nature. Has anyone got some stories for me on things that have gone right, things that have gone wrong, things that have gone better than expected, things that should never be tried and ideas on what Council or Local Govt Authorities will never budge on?

Thanks from Julie in WA