Calistemon and/or bottle-brush cultivation

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by david, Nov 2, 2005.

1. david

david Junior Member

I woudl liek to plant some callistemon and/or some bottle-brush in our nature strip but I'd rather raise them myself than pay for them.

Does anyone know if these or similar nectar producers can be raised from seeds or cuttings?

Thanks

David

2. Steve J.

Steve J. Junior Member

David,

I have grown them from both seed and cuttings; I prefer cuttings though as you get a clone of the parent plant. If the Callistemon you like is a hybrid you must use cuttings, seed grown plants will revert to the dominant variety of the parent plants (just think asexual verse sexual reproduction blah blah blah). As with most native shrub type plants-autumn is best time for cuttings. I do about 20-30 cuttings at a time into a 6 inch pot of seed raising mix. Rooting hormone will really increase the strike rate if you don't mind using such products. I grow hundreds and hundreds of native shrubs a year from cuttings with no problems at all.

Good luck
    Steve

3. Steve J.

Steve J. Junior Member

David,

I had another thought, if it's nectar you are after them the Banksia family is a great one to grow, easy to grow from seed or cutting. Once again -cutting for the hybrids but the others grow easliy from seed (and you get to burn stuff to extract it)

Steve

4. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

ok, so can you please walk me through how to take a cutling...

And is it very illegal to get them from National Parks ?? I live right next the grampians and there are some beautiful plants there I have stumbled across during my walks..

5. Steve J.

Steve J. Junior Member

I can do better than that for you Dan, go here

https://farrer.riv.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/cuttings.html

look, read and ponder, it will all become lucid and before you know it you'll have thousands of native plants eating you out of house and home (and you can swap the surplus for neat stuff or give them away and help save the world). I give my friends natives for Christmas, costs a little time but not much cash and they love it (shame all our gardens look the same though).

Steve

6. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

HAHAHAHAHA Dan THE Man, you've been LINKED!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. Lolly

Lolly Junior Member

lol Tully... it certainly is difficult to imagine Dan being 'linked'!

Dan, did you find out if taking cuttings from a National Park is illegal? I seem to remember the saying "only take out what you take in.." but don't quote me! :)

8. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Hey dan If you stumble so much as you walk,maybe you should watch where your going....

Tezza

9. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

'Tis illegal to remove any thing from a national park with out written authority to do so (or any other govt. owned land) - plants, plant material, rocks, shells, feathers, anything - 'Take only photos and leave only footprints' was one of my favourite sayings when I wore my Park Ranger uniform.

10. Lolly

Lolly Junior Member

Thank you Fran :)

11. verrall

verrall Junior Member

David,

Get this book - "From seeds to leaves" by Doug & Robin Stewart ISBN 1-86395-225-X. I bought mine from green harvest. https://www.greenharvest.com.au/.

But you might be avle to get it from the library or something.

It shows you everything about growing natives from seeds.