Bye bye flush toilet!

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Burra Maluca, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Burra Maluca

Burra Maluca Junior Member

At last - the old flush toilet, which is hardly used but we've hung onto it 'just in case', has developed a leak. So, rather than waste time and money changing it, it's going!!!! And I'm going to have a 'proper' humanure toilet built instead of the 'bucket in the back shed' system I have now. Luxury! :rofl:

2. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    How excellent! Anything special in mind for the build? :cool:

3. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Great news Burra - will you house it seperatly or in house?
    We have two - a small one in house and a large one for "visitors" outside.:clap:

4. Burra Maluca

Burra Maluca Junior Member

It's going to be 'in house', and probably something like this...

[​IMG]

The boys will be in charge of designing and building it as I'm stuck in the house pretty well 24/7 nursing the old man, but I suspect they'll base what they do on Joseph Jenkins' instruction sheet, using whatever bits and bobs they can find lying around at the farm. Our 'system' is a bit complicated in that we have the farm, with a very old, basic house in drastic need of renovating, and also a relatively modern house in the village that we live in to look after the old man - with electric and running water and things. We currently use buckets in the back shed for a basic 'humanure' collection system and transport them to the farm for composting, but I'm rather looking forward to not having to go outside every time I want to use the loo! :nod:

After my nursing duties are over, we'll be attempting to sell the house to fund the renovations on the farm, and we'll probably have to re-install a flush toilet then to make it saleable, but in the meantime it's going to be cheaper to make some kind of 'love-able loo' and then when the time comes we can just take it with us to the farm.

5. dworx

dworx New Member