buying an ex dairy farm

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by teela, Oct 14, 2007.

1. teela

teela Junior Member

Hi, We are thinking of buying a property that was once part of a dairy farm. I was wondering what, if any, chemicals might remain in the soil? With all the cow manure I'm thinking it should have great soil.
    I would imagine dairy farming shouldn't use that many chemicals anyway but these days who knows? Thats why I'm asking you guys. Whattya reckon?

Teela

2. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Was it a free-range dairy or a feedlot dairy?

You might call the local large-animal veterinarian and ask what dairy cows are usually given in the way of medication, etc. I would assume right off (unless it was an organic dairy) that they were routinely given antibiotics and possibly hormones. Tell them why you're asking.

Then I would call the local place that tests soil, and talk to them. Ask if they can test the soil for antibiotics. Ask if antibiotics break down in the soil. Ask if there is some kind of residue, if certain plants could be planted (seeded) and the nasties taken up by them. Then maybe you could mow and collect the "crop" and either compost it or dispose of it.

If you can afford it, have both the soil and the water tested for hazardous materials associated with livestock. Even if there was nothing negative in the soil, it should tell you what it's lacking, so you'll have some idea about how much it will cost to add what is lacking.

If it was an organic dairy, grab it and keep your mouth shut until the final papers are signed.

If you don't have it, get Pat Coleby's book on Natural Farming and Land Care.

Sue

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    As well as antibiotics there will be drench residues.

Maybe also issues with the chemicals used to clean the milking shed (which are pretty full on).

And the fertilisers used on the paddocks. And any pesticides used to control grassgrub etc (in NZ you would be looking at land use of the last 50 years and hoping like hell there was no ddt).

Sorry, but dairy farms are pretty environmentally crap. I've been thinking this through because I'm considering buying in some topsoil off an ex dairy farm.

I agree that getting some heavy duty soil testing is the way to go. If you love the place, then even if there are some residues there are ways of dealing with that. But good to know what you are getting yourself into.

Talk to the neighbours and the old timers in the area to see what they know about the land.

Even if the farm hasn't been formally 'organic' there are still farms out there that have been farmed with minimal chemical input.

FWIW, I'd get soil tests on any land I bought now - heavy metals, pesticides etc. It depends on what you know about the long term history of the land and what you are wanting to use it for.