Bushfoods - Getting started

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by newcroft, Nov 7, 2009.

1. newcroft

newcroft Junior Member

Anyone else into Bushfoods here?

I'm just getting started. I hope to get quite a few varieties up and running. For starters, I've just received seeds for;
    Bush Tomato (Solanum Centrale)
    Weeping Cherry (Exocarpos Sparteus)
    Native Riberry (Syzygium Luehmannii)

Any suggestions? Hints? Experiences?

Thanks.

2. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Re: Bushfoods - Getting started

G'day newcroft

You've probably done heaps of research, and just want to get out there and plant, but just on the off-chance that you have not read these, here's a list that I have on my shelf:

Cribb & Cribb

Useful Wild Plants in Australia
    Wild Food in Australia
    Wild Medicine in Australia

Low, Tim

Wild Herbs of Australia & New Zealand
    Wild Food Plants Australia
    Bush Tucker: Australia's Wild Harvest

Oh, and for a 'tip', try to grow what originally grew around (or at least near) your place - nothing like a few million years of evolution and natural selection to sort out what will grow and what will not. And while we are on the subject of all things Indigenous, try to tap into 'local' knowledge. Once again, nothing like the passing of a few millenea for learning to understand what grows well, and how to grow it. Many areas have a strong and continuing pattern of local knowledge available - try searching at your nearest library for 'Aboriginal Food Plants [insert your locality]'.

Cheerio, Marko.

3. ppp

ppp Junior Member

awesome! We don't have any bushfood yet, but are certainly interested.. let us know how they grow!?

4. newcroft

newcroft Junior Member

Nope! Just want to 'get out there and plant' anyway.

I'll try to chase up those readings when I get a chance. Thanks for your help.

5. Bird

Bird Junior Member

6. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

G'day
    It's a subject I'd like to explore as well, loath tho I am to direct you to another forum, but there is an australian bushfoods forum, with lots of info.
    I showed a traditional Pitjantjatjara man around my garden the other day and gave him a raw broad bean and some mustard greens to try and he chewed, swallowed and said "you need to grow some bush tucker"!
    let us know how you go
    cheers

7. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

We have about 25-30 Davidson's Plum on our property. I'm going to try and locate some of the local native Tamarinds as well, and get some more finger limes planted. All in good time.

8. butchasteve

butchasteve Junior Member

bump

My next project in the Gulf region is a bushfood garden. any idea where to find out local endemic bushfoods? unfortunately dialogue with the local indigenous community is difficult as they are largely transient..

any tips would be great.

9. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Ooooo I have dreams about making a big batch of Davidson plum and fig jam. Mmmmmm.....

10. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Steve

Firstly, I would like to suggest that you keep trying to connect with the people of the community. The success of any project is heavily dependent upon the community having 'full ownership' of the entire process. However, this I am sure you are already aware of. In any community project that I involve myself with, I always like to encourage the participants to reach for the top rung of Arnstein's Ladder (see: https://lithgow-schmidt.dk/sherry-arnste ... ation.html). It's hard work, but in the end it's worth it.

Failing that, you may find what you are looking for here (see: https://www.nt.gov.au/nreta/natres/natve ... asets.html).

And failing that, Les Hiddins (of ABC TV Bush Tucker Man fame) has spent a bit of time in that area, and on that very subject (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Hiddins).

Cheerio, Mark.

11. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I'm just starting too
    I have a nice Backhousia citriodora Lemon Myrtle growing happily- a beautiful clean crisp fragrance.

I'm trying to grow bush tomatoes from a packet i purchased at a gourmet-herb Shop (Herbies)

And I just found this interesting seed source on Ebay from WA
    They list this plant
    IPOMOEA costata Native Sweet Potato "Bush Tucker"
    https://cgi.ebay.com.au/IPOMOEA-cos...QptZAU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs?hash=item518f2bde20
    I am sure I have seen it growing wild around here.
    Any thoughts?

My suburb name is the local aboriginal name for"place of many Yams" so I have been searching for the native Yam/potato?