Bushfire Technology

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by Michaelangelica, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Failure to perform adequate hazard reduction of bushfire-prone areas to remove fuel has long been identified as a major factor in out-of-control conflagrations.

Now comes an extraordinarily sophisticated surveillance device that can detect the whiff of smoke from as far away as 60km, and allow fire crews to extinguish a blaze before it runs out of control.

The technology, which can detect 16,384 shades of grey, and tell the difference between fog, mist, cloud and bushfire smoke, was originally developed by the German Aerospace Agency for exploring the surface of Mars during the NASA Pathfinder mission.

The intellectual property was acquired by a company run by former Stasi agents - men with a proven interest in surveillance. Finally, five years ago, it was bought by Australian engineer David Goodrich and entrepreneur Dr Peter Neustadt.

They have turned “FireWatch” into an early detection device for Australian bushfires which can analyse smoke data onsite and send a photograph, map co-ordinates, temperature, wind speed and direction to fire control headquarters within six minutes of a blaze starting.

In Germany, where FireWatch was installed a decade ago in a grid network covering 2.3 million hectares of pine forest, it has helped reduce the area burned each year by a staggering 80 per cent.https://blogs.news.com.au/dailytele...omments/pouring_cold_water_on_a_red_hot_issue

2. Farside

Farside Junior Member

I recently worked at a company whose founder developed a similar technology for the navy. They wanted to look at a contrail on the horizon and determine if it was from a jet or a ballistic missile.
    The technology is now so advanced that there is a real possibility of diagnosing disease by analysing your breath (the same way as dogs are known to detect cancer in their owners).

I was talking with him a few months back about using it to map different species of plants from the air based on their signature respiratory profiles. It would allow for the large scale tracking of how invasive species propagate across mono-cultures, identify the location and spread of GM crops, identify contaminated ground, etc.

Basically, we (the world) are on the very edge of a huge technological breakthrough.

3. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

You have no idea how right you are. ;)

Some several winters ago I came across an article about how here in the US we can create diamonds that are superior in quality to those that nature made. In addition, we are already creating said diamonds in specified shapes for circuitry. The next generation of computers while change everything.

4. Earth's Internet

Earth's Internet Junior Member

I enjoyed the read and hope that such a device and program can be of value. However there are so many variables that are different in as far as weather and climate in Germany when you compare them to Australia and the Southwestern United States. Germany has some similar weather and climate conditions as Sweden. Sweden also can get forest fires but they are rare as it is almost always wet here. Germany also has a concentrated and condenced population and services for fire firefighting are never far away. However, as you know, both Australia and the USA have wide open spaces that stretch forever and services are further apart. Response time will be longer than Germany. Germany also doesn't have the hot dry weather extremes which are also getting worse. So a spark can flare up into a giant under the right conditions even if the fire started behind the FireHouse. I still hope this program can be utilized though.

Another company in the USA ( Voltree Power Inc ) uses a trees own electrical conductivity in remote locations to connect soil moisture levels as a means of fire control and prevention. These devices are monitored by GPS Satellite and batteries never have to be replaced as long as the tree is alive.

https://voltreepower.com/

Electrical Conductivity of Trees

5. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I reckon some good permaculture design will deal with some of the issues associated with wildfire. And I'm not just talking about individual homes, but village design, etc etc. And I'm not just talking about the physical design but also the 'hidden elements' such as community.

I believe the technology is available - it is the impetus that is missing. It is the same for most things. Impetus.

Expecting governments to do something about it is not going to get you far. Observation (one of the cornerstones of permaculture) tells us this in clear detail. You cannot solve a problem with the same level of consciousness that created it.

It's the same as flooding - it is going to take a societal shift.

6. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

There's a whole section on bushfire in the Designers Manual.

7. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

There sure is, and a lot of other super duper happy fun time information that often goes ignored, or changed, which I am starting to snicker at in my old age.

8. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

Are you snickering at the information, or at the ignoring? :p

9. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Information. For example, the designer manual suggests building deadwood swales where I am, as opposed to other kinds. The deadwood swales are amazing, but most people tell me I don't know what I am doing on forums because they only know the "general" versions of things, which has been perpetuated by Youtube videos on the Huglekulture subject. :think: