Bush Turkey - what should I do?

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by eco4560, Sep 30, 2010.

1. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

You might call them scrub turkeys at your place. My mum calls them tub skrurkeys to confuse the grandkids. One wandered on to my place from the creek reserve across the road just before sunset today. Is this good? Can I somehow harness its propensity to make nesting mounds to build me compost piles? Or is it a giant garden wrecker?

Is there a way to discourage it (I think the cat would run away if he saw it coming...) if it comes back and starts to dig over my freshly planted beds?

2. permup

permup Junior Member

Ah, I comisserate! My father has had one land upon his doorstep some 4 months ago, and it's taken up residence. We are now calling my father Wylie Cyote due to all of the atnics he gets up to in order to catch this bird and re-locate (which by the way is illegal - but who's telling?) Its one of the smartest birds you will ever come across - and very destructive. It digs up all if his veg, his trees down to their roots, his lawn, you name it. He hates it with a passion. The law protects them however, and the best advice I can give you is to learn to live with it (which is easy coming from someone who doesn't have to right? :))

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

ooooooooo:sweat:

4. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

gently encourage it to leave

their mounds can be up to 4 tonnes - and that will all come from your garden

they are nice - and will tame easily - but its better they arent where you are

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

The cat wandered in minus his collar this morning. When I went looking for it in the garden I found it next to several pot plants that have been sent flying, and the cat has some fur off. I didn't hear anything during the night. I'm not sure if he has taken on the feathered beast or had a fight with another 4 legged creature. Maybe I need to make a tower of power and post a firm wish for a turkey free garden...