Build your own compost bin

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by baldcat, Oct 31, 2005.

1. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Compost bin
    To cook up compost from leaves, you need a compost bin that gets hot like an oven.

You can put this bin together in less than 10 minutes! Just get yourself some timber pallets and star posts.
    [​IMG]
    You'll need:
    4 timber pallets (ask at building sites, but don't take pallets stamped with a company name)
    6 star posts (star pickets)

Here's how:
    1. Decide on a location for your compost 'oven'. A warm spot on bare well-drained soil is best. It helps if it's in easy reach of a hose.

2. Erect the back wall by hammering in two star posts about 800mm apart, then slip the pallet over the top, so its planks run horizontally.

3. Line up the position of your side pallets. Hammer in two more star posts for each one. Again, slip the pallets over the posts. The bin is now ready for filling.

4. Now, build your compost heap with twigs, leaves, manure, soil, grass clippings and wood ash (or garden lime or dolomite). Line the base of the pile with a 10-15cm layer of twigs and sticks. This ensures air gets right under the pile. Add your 'ingredients' in 10cm layers, adding a layer of manure and a handful of wood ash (or garden lime or dolomite) after every three layers, and giving the heap a good soaking of water.

5. When the bin is half full, secure the front pallet to the sides with string or rope, and continue to layer the ingredients until you've used the lot. Finish with a layer of manure and more water.

6. Finally, lay a moist piece of carpet underfelt over the heap. This 'lid' helps maintain a constant temperature and moisture level. Leave the pile to bake in its own heat – do not add extra ingredients and do not stir! Keep the pile as damp as a wrung-out sponge. When the pile looks like soil, the compost is ready to use in the garden.

Tip: If you want to make a permanent compost bin, dismantle your timber pallets and nail the timber from them onto posts sunk into the ground.

Source: https://www.bhg.com.au

2. barely run

barely run Junior Member

What a clever idea...will file that one for future use...and thanks for the better homes web site.
    Had an idea because I cant find the web site for the eco village designer some one posted to me...how about a spot somewhere on this site to post useful websites...know it's more work for the IT guru's but would be so helpful :thumbright:
    Cathy

3. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

4. redorangenbrown

redorangenbrown Junior Member

Wow this is how we just built our compost bins. I have placed mine facing each other though slightly off set so that when I turn the heap I stand in between them forking material from one bin into the other.

The inner walls of each bin are shorter so that we don't have to fork over them when transferring materials.

This is what they look like from above, well...sort of anyway.
    [​IMG]

5. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member