Bugs under lettuce leaves

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by petal, Jun 12, 2008.

1. petal

petal Junior Member

We have various leafy lettuces. They look healthy and strong. They do, however, have an insect infestation on the underside of the leaves. This is not much of a problem as I brush a lot of them off when I pick the leaves, and wash most the rest off. I would rather eat a couple of bugs then pesticides. They look similar to aphids, but not as fat and juicy, and almost black in colour. They don’t seem to be doing, much damage. I am just curious about what they are. Does anyone know what it might be?

2. grease

grease Junior Member

Re: Bugs under lettuce leaves

G'day Petal.

just the usual questions back. Where is your garden situated ie where are you in the world? Do you have a picture of them and can you post a pic for us to look at? and if your lettuces are happy and healthy then you have the added benefit of a bit more protein.

3. katrina

katrina Junior Member

i have the same situation, with healthy, prolific lettuce and these black, aphid-like bugs. i live in coastal victoria, no frosts, very mild May, tomatoes still ripening, beans doing well in june.
    they've been around about three weeks. i haven't tried to get rid of them, as they don't appear to be attracting ants. they aren't on my tatsoi or english spinach. i'll be interested in any replies. i just eat them, haven't been sick (yet). but i wash them off for my husband, as it groses him out,
    kat

4. bazman

bazman Junior Member

I would use a couple of table spoons to vegi oil (whiteoil) mixed with some warm water in a 500ml spray bottle, spray them and this should get rid of most of them, you could also add a few drops of some Tabasco sauce.

5. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Bazman, why not use oil and VINEGAR for pre-dressed salads? :lol:

Actually, they probably are aphids, which come in various colors including black, green, red, yellow, pink, white, brown, grayish, or lavender. Since they cause damage in all phases of their lives, you might want to get rid of them before you have a plague.

Frogs love aphids. You might consider adding a low spot in your garden (maybe several) and filling it with water to attract them.

Sue