Breadnut, Maya Nut

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by SueinWA, Nov 16, 2008.

1. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

I had heard about the breadnut fruit, but the nut was something new to me. I heard about it on the radio this morning.

The scientific name is (Brosimum alicastrum), and it is related to figs and mulberries. It's not the same as the breadnut fruit.

An article at Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breadnut says the nuts are extremely high in fiber, calcium, potassium, folic acid, iron, zinc, protein and vitamins A, E, C and B. It sounds like a good permaculture tree.

Here is another article on it:
    https://www.rngr.net/Publications/ttsm/F ... .2112/file

Is this grown in Oz? About the only parts of the U.S. it will grow seems to be southern California and Florida.

Sue

2. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

3. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

Re: Breadnut, Maya Nut

The Newcrops site only lists research papers published , none are from Aus. It should be grown somewhere in sub-tropcs or tropics , I would like to grow it ..must check to see if it is on allowed list of imports .

4. christopher

christopher Junior Member

We have Brossimum here. It is natve to this area. Studies in Yucatam showed that a woman and two children could collect anouh calories to feed a family of 5 for a year in 24 hours of actual labour. Brossimum also has leaves that are high in protein. Chicleros used ot to feed their mules hauling chicle out of the bush. One theory (which makes a lot of sense to me) is that Brossimum was a staple crop of the ancient Maya.

We also have the artocaprus camansi breadnut, which we eat and feed to chickens.

5. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Brosimum and Artocarpus are readily available in Northern Australia.

I do not go south often but have seen huge specimens of these plants growing in parks and gardens in Brisbane and Cairns. Artocarpus is very easy to recognise as in areas where it is not a tropical rainforest/irrigated' it looks like a fig tree on Jenny Craig with fruit at the end of limbs that can bend the plant over.

Brosimum looks like a meditteranean fig tree on steroids, lotsa big leaves, stocky, with big green fruit and the sky is the limit.

My artocarpus [repeated] are attacked incessantly by native fauna. Next time I get a few seeds I will plant it next to my house.

cheers,