Brand new land and three years to 'settle'

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by James Campbell, Jul 19, 2019.

1. James Campbell

James Campbell New Member

photographer
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Temperate
    Hi Everyone,

Brand new here so hopefully I've posted in the correct place.

My wife and I are very close to owning 2 acres of land in the south west of Western Australia and while our long term plans are for a fully productive farm we won't be starting anything in earnest for three years while we observe the land on weekends and pay off the land while living in the Perth.

Three years is a long time though so while we aren't likely to be putting down garden beds or planning the position of the house just yet... my question is; Are there are some 'permaculture constants' that we can start to develop now.

ie, the prevailing wind is primarily from the south so I was thinking of planting a tall hedge along the southern border to protect the land from wind. Or, considering soil improvement is always a thing, getting going with a compost regime, even if all it is is to have the local mulch net drop off chipped trees and let them cold compost on their own.

Would those suggestions be sound or are there any other long term projects we could safely get cracking on already?

As a background, the land 2 acres,nalmost perfectly square, oriented with a constant gentle slope falling from the south west corner to the north east. Soil is clay/loam. A year round soak wells up over 1/8th of the block and feeds into a modest permanent dam. The land is currently developed with an old house and ramshackle sheds on 1/2 acre while the other 1.5 acres are grassy with one or two mature eucalyptus. The Bridgetown climate is temperate, though due to the inland location, frosts do occur.

James

2. pedrw

pedrw New Member

Climate:
    subtropical
    If the earth is clay, you need garden beds :)
    And you can change the soil with a lot of organic matter.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019