Brains Trust

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by baldcat, Oct 31, 2005.

1. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Well since no one reads the other area of this forum.. I would like to announce that I have been accepted at Charles Sturt Uni next year to start a Bachelor of Land Management (Ecological Agriculture)....
    https://www.csu.edu.au/courses/ug/sci/blmac/

2. Steve J.

Steve J. Junior Member

Well good for you, that is great thing.

Steve

3. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Congratulations Dan. Full time or part time? What do you expect to do when you finish the degree - have you given up on wanting to be a fireman :lol:

4. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Good one DanTHEMan!!!! Congrats and best of luck for the course :)

5. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Congratulations Dan!:thumbright:

Tam

6. forest

forest Junior Member

Congratulations Dan. Busy times ahead. :)

7. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

That's WONDERFUL, Dan! A good education with a permaculture bent -- what could be more perfect?

Sue

8. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Thanks everyone for your kind words and encouragement.. It has been this forum that has convinced me to go for it in the forst place.

I'm pretty excited about it... However it is going to take a while. I'm doing via Distance Education. I have to do acouple of days every year in Orange at the campus however.

The course admin is looking over aqll my information systems and Military qualifications now to see if I can get some advanced standing .. I hope so it is time saved and big $$$$$ saved as well.

I hoping to do a vast amount of things ranging from Landcare officer to reseach work with VIDA. I would also like to start a Land Management Consultancy, with a commercial nature :) (have to make money somewhere) This would include a research farm in where I would like to get disadvantage kids from the city to come and work and learn, giving them invaluable skills and maybe another shot at life...

Well that is the basic dream thus far amongst many others...

What can I say I'm a dreamer, but think of all the things that wouldn't have happened if humans couldn't at least acheive some of their dreams. I would like to think I'll achieve some dreams before I die. Not all.. As I never want to be content with life.

9. forest

forest Junior Member

Dan I really admire your decision to keep learning and to ehlp yourself and others with your education.

When I was in my late 30s, which is so far back now I can barely remember it, I returned to uni and went from being a nursing sister to a journalist. It was extremely hard work, I was working full time and raising a family, but it was one of the best things I ever did.

It would be great if you could get credits for your previous experience. I wish you the best with your studies and I underatnd your excitment. 8)

10. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Well I guess I still have a little youth on my side being only 28... I feel like the baby around here sometimes.. :) :lovestory:

11. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Originally I thought wow, 6 years study, thats gunna suck... But then I looked at the subjects, thats not going to suck at all Dan..... :D :D

12. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Nah the subjects are pretty cool, and there is a great range to choose from.. I'm going to try and do Summer classes as well, and hopefully I'll be able to get a few credits from Military courses such thumb in bum shit like ,,, THIS IS A COMPUTER, THIS IS A CD and of course good old OH and S etc etc..

13. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Go Danno,Go Danno ,Go Danno...

Good Luck matey..

Does that mean i cant get You to do a web page for me now?

Tezza

14. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

yeah mate sure,, I can do that for you.. I'll still got plenty of time. :)

15. Ichsani

Ichsani Junior Member

Go Dan the Man! It'll open your eyes to things you never knew were there...you'll love it (aside from all the hard slog :lol:) Permaculture training is a great advantage, it means you've already got the low-down on the hardest part- that everything is connected :lol:

Am half way through a 4yr bachelor in Land and Water Science at Syd. Uni....funny that, I almost enrolled in the same degree as you, but ended up in Sydney (long story) I remember being very impressed with the subject options....Being older is a great advantage at uni, cause it means that you know why you are there

Though it doesn't sound very cool, hydrology (very cool), microbial ecology and biometry (suckful stats but so valuble) have been some of the best subjects thus far.....Good luck : )

Oh and for the record (shhh don't tell anyone, esp not Tezza, he'll call me a whipper snapper!) I'm 23.

Cheers to you
    Ichsani

16. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

I just left Sydney, and I tell you, was happy to see the back of it. :)
    Oh, oh don't worry your secret is safe with me, I won't tell Tezza..

17. Ichsani

Ichsani Junior Member

Thanks Dan for keepeing my secret (I'd better stop bumping this then), me personally, can't wait to get out of here too....space, now that would be nice!

18. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Hey there Dan - I read the other post and missed this one :p

Once again though

Congratulations!

It does look like a wonderful study load - you may find you and your brain in great demand on the forum in the future :lol:

:D
    Fran.