Brain Eating Amoeba in LA Water

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by Pakanohida, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

2. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Junior Member

Thanks for the article, Pak.

I feel sorry for the people of Louisiana. They've had to put put up with so much. Katrina, FEMA, the national gaurd patrolling their streets, and now this. I wish them the best of luck.

3. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    It's ok, we're used to it. I remember around 93 when I was living in New Orleans there was some algie found in the caity water supply that chlorine couldn't kill. Anyway, they started adding Ammonia to the main water supply to kill it and screwed the flavor up for at least a month. Water's a big problem down here anyway. I'm still trying to figure what would be my best option for fresh water. There are chlorine plants 1 mile away spewing smoke out all the time. Some mornings it's so bad you walk out and find a yellow film over everything. They have to provide a rinse station at the gate so employees can get the crap off their cars due, as it eats the paint..
    Anyway, thats what worries me about collecting rainwater from the house roof. Also, due to the number of Petro refining plants withing a 5mile range I worry about a water well (which this city has illegalized for residence to have. Wonder if their trying to hide something) Oh, and we are getting a plant that converts natural gas into diesel. It'll be the 1st in of its kind in America. So, we're screwed.

4. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    The amoeba is theorised to have have killed two people who were using neti pots and tap water. You can't get ill from ingesting it (according to that article).

5. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    From all I've read your correct pebible, but think about all the toddlers who are given baths in said water. How many times had you as a child accidentally got water in your nose

6. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    True, but people using neti pots most likely have nasal problems which make them more susceptible to infection. I'm not saying it's not an issue for the general population, but I do think it's significant that the two people who have died were both using neti pots. Many people in the world have a lot to worry about already. I dislike sensationalist headlines that engender more worry and stress - that's bad for people's health too.