Blue Mountains Permaculture Consultancy - Susan Girard

Discussion in 'Permaculture consultants, businesses, resources' started by Susan Girard, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Susan Girard

Susan Girard Junior Member

I've been involved in Permaculture in the Blue Mountains for over a decade. I did my PDC with Rosemary Morrow doing an 'internship' teaching PDC's with her. Now I have a Diploma in Permaculture (Design, Education & Media) with the Permaculture Institute and Cert IV APT (TM). I run a Permaculture Consultancy and teach Part time with TAFE NSW and independently. My speciality subject is Integrated Pest Management and Seed Saving (I have a NSW Pest Manager's License and I illustrated Rowe Morrows Family Seed Saving Book).

2. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    It is exciting to have you here Susan.
    Can you tell me of the importance of having poisons as a part of "integrated pest management"?

3. Susan Girard

Susan Girard Junior Member

Hi purple pear
    Yes, give me Physical, Cultural and Biological methods any day. I know having a Pest Management License is a funny bit of paper to have as a permie. Just I was (am) interested in Entomology and wanted to learn more about poisons and so it went from there.

As I see it, poisons are substances that can cause disturbances to organisms, usually by chemical reaction or other activity on small molecular scales, if a sufficient amounts are applied or absorbed.
    I know lots of people define poisons as synthetic chemicals that are toxic.
    But there's Insect Growth Regulators that sterilise rather than kill, sound good... until you get non-target poisoning affecting other parts of ecosystems. As you are probably aware in your line of business some scientists suggesting that IGR's are the possible cause of the Colony Collape Disorder in bees.
    And then there's home made (organic) alternatives such as white oil, chilli, garlic, rhubarb sprays which I think need to be thought about with caution. Spray Bordeaux on your fruit trees, but what is happening to the soil fungi below that are getting a dose at the same time? We have no idea what we are doing when it comes to poisons.

4. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Thanks Susan - I like your answers well.