Bloody cats!!!!

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by PDB, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

I'm not stopping you from killing them, building fences or doing nothing. More shiny cars are probably the answer, have at it. And for countrys that don't have the super ferals of Australia and might still have a feral cat problem, TnR might help. Doing nothing except getting angry at each other prolly won't. I like the idea of restoring Australia natural predators. The thylacine would be quite a trick. The tasmanian devil could help maybe, but only if you kept the dingos off their backs. Maybe you should ask the aborigines for help, but they might want to start the culling with the feral white folk. be careful

2. elliceh

elliceh Junior Member

Haha should have known Ojo wasn't in Oz. I thought the reasoning was a bit out. Feral here does not mean stray, homeless etc etc. These are massive wild killing machines that breed profusely and like MA said, TNR would be laughable here. The cost of sterilising that many cats... bullets or poison would be sooo much cheaper. Just to get out to the main populations would take days and days, and missing a couple would mean that the problem will be just as bad later on. Unlike the US, it can take days to cross just one of our states, through rough desert terrain. Its true that noone fully comprehends how vast this country is.

And maybe you have a point Ojo, it would probably cheaper to give everyone a nice shiny car so we can go rallying through the bush knocking them down. Seems like my car has been a sore point for you... you dont have one? its not shiny? wahh wahhhhh. It's not just for that reason I dislike cats... re-read my posts with a clear mind if thats what you think.... seriously.

PPP - your a classic mate haha :lol: :lol:

3. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

LOL :lol:
    We need some armed-to-the-teeth, kelvar suited, USA Swat teams in OZ.
    I wonder how they would survive in the outback?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our success with eradicating Rabbits has meant more damage to wildlife by cats.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.scottishbigcats.co.uk/worldnews19.htm

5. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

oh boy, the shock and awe part. You've already got your army shooting them. They must really be kicking your asses, you sound terrified. Maybe a few more country's army running around is what you need.

You have ALOT of ferals
    https://www.environment.gov.au/biodivers ... ve/ferals/

controlling them all without predators will be a job for the whole worlds armys. They shot them in Colorado too, of course people killing out of hate or frustration rarely do the right thing and they left the carcasses to rot where they fell, the foxes and coyotes moved in for the easy pickings and peoples dogs started dropping dead from parvovirus. It wasn't to bad when it was just the .22, but when the 6mm mags came out people started ducking for cover. Good luck with that.

PS. I started walking a trap line at 5, so I know what a dead animal looks like. Save the shock and awe treatment. I've put down plenty of ferals and other animals. Maybe you should introduce a few more species, it will balance out eventually, of course the marsupials will be gone.

6. Michaelangelica

God Yanks are thick.
    Perhaps we could get you guys out here 'hunt'g and shoot'g' our feral Animals instead of shooting a million+ of your own people a century?

Did you read how big these cats are?
    Did you read the URL I gave?

Have you ever seen a large goanna?
    [​IMG]
    This is one very game or stupid guy

A USA Feral cat (for balance)
    [​IMG]

7. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

I suppose Australian ferals are born weighing 30 pounds. Start raising owls! If you want a sight hound I'd go with the greyhound, for a scent hound I like blue tick. Change your dietary habits or import ten million Chinese that already have a taste for them. . Invest in ammunition companies, I know of some polar bears that need a home. Shit where are all the cat hater ideas? Wait for the rats to eat everything?

8. Michaelangelica

9. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

there you go. I've eaten taco's in mexico that were cat or dog roadkill or something, not too sure. Enough chili pepper on it who cares. Or you can call them names and tell them how stupid they are. That'll teach them a lesson.

10. elliceh

elliceh Junior Member

Ojo, just chill out mate, there is no need to take it personally unless you are a cat. Its pretty clear you dont fully understand the situation out here so I'd quit with the smart remarks if I was you.

You suggest a fence... been there done that with limited succes. The ferals are EVERYWHERE so really doing that we would just be dividing them into 2 separate colonies.

Introducing more and more species in the hope everything will just balance out... been there done that with catastrophic results. We are just adding to the problem by doing that.

TNR.... absolutely laughable. I'm sure you can figure that out for yourself.

The only answer is mass killing and if rewards are offered for a certain number of heads then there will be thousands of younguns going out hunting.

This has been done with toads and foxes with great success recently.

11. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

12. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

I wonder how they became "super" cats? Maybe because they outsmarted the cat killers?

The use of warfarin and similar poisons can present problems of its own, killing other wildlife and domestic pets and leading to ‘hotspots’ of super-rats that are out of control because they have evolved resistance to most or all of the poisons that can legally be used outdoors.
    https://www.innovations-report.de/html/b ... 31712.html

On farms in North Yorkshire, field margins were surveyed to identify habitat characteristics preferred by small mammals and disliked by rats. The results suggest that subtle changes in habitat management practices such as leaving wide, grassy field margins, could favour small mammals including common shrews and bank voles, while at the same time producing a habitat that is less attractive for rats. This approach might also have other environmental benefits, creating buffer zones to absorb pesticide run-off, and better habitats for rat predators such as the barn owl.

To avoid predators, rats tend to avoid open spaces whilst on the move. Consequently, reducing cover around farm buildings led to reduced rat activity and survival and this approach compared well with the use of rodenticides in terms of both its efficiency and labour involved.

Within a short space of time rat populations were discouraged by the reduction of cover around farm buildings, and the technique is likely to be even more effective as part of a long-term strategy to produce an environment that is less suitable for rats, but does not reduce the quality of life for other animals.
    https://www.innovations-report.de/html/b ... 31712.html

13. ppp

ppp Junior Member

Ojo

I think you have finally forgotten what you were tryin to argue. You aren't doing any favours for your arguement any more and I suggest we leave the discussion here.

PPP

14. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

My argument? OK, nothing requires hard work or ingenuity, just keep it shiney. :idea:

15. elliceh

elliceh Junior Member

awww Ojo is still upset his car isn't shiny and it bothers him when other peoples are.

Oh and ingenuity? executing cats is ingenious and much easier than creating fort knox for the sake of a stupid cat.

16. Livered

Livered New Member

Re: Bloody cats!!!!

Pebbles your view on this situation is so skewed and "cat" orientated its pathetic! I'm a home owning rate payer, I own chickens and they free range in the yard that I paid dearly for. What right does any cat owner have to let their cat roam in MY yard, and stalk MY chickens, eventually killing one of them? WHAT RIGHT DO THEY HAVE?! NONE. I did the right thing and spoke to the owner who like you, appears to have her head up her butt and cares not for anyone else but herself and her own little world. One more cat enters my yard and it will never roam again.

17. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Ojo,

Interstingly, there are probably a dozen indigenous carnivores that will kill cats in the USA, here there is only the dingo, even then the dingo is a recent introduction (circa 4000 years ago),

We all view wildlife within our own perspective. I live in a region that hosts pigs, water buffalo, camel, wild cattle, donkeys, oxen, horses, cats, deer, wild dogs etc. Whilst I have my own prejudices, ie, I would not shoot horses and donkeys.

To have this attitude is both naive and very anti-environment - to the environment. Yet to someone who doesnt live in this area, this issue can be taken to the enth of their imagination. Whatever they summarily decide can and does find me wrong. Do I shoot feral cats and not dingoes. Do I shoot buffalo and not horses [and leave donkeys]. Do I shoot camels on behalf of the birdlife?

Before this goes on much farther. I have shot a lot of feral pigs, hundreds of rabbits, a few hares, a hea of foxes and as many feral cats as I could lay a bead on, and not one horse, donkey, cow, deer etc.

My point is if you live in an urban area, where fuck all but feral birds exist, you can make HUGE demands on what and how you see which parts of a living ecology should exist - WITH NO IDEA OF THE CONSEQUENCES OR THE FACTS.

Understand, I have a dog, a little jack russell, it does not prequalify me to make demands on other dog owners or even non-dog owners. She is restricted to 75 acres [MY CHOICE] and she chases wallabies off the front 12 acres. The reason I have a small dog is so that she doesnt impinge on the surrounding bush [over 1 million acres] nor annoy my neighbour. This is a conscious decision.

I am from the school of thought that believes my pets have NO rights. Not the right to trespass, interfere, transgress or enjoy anyone else's property especially public lands. She also has no right to harrass, attack or even threaten another human being. This is a reasonable standard. Cat owners should consider this as a standard to.

cheers,

18. turkey

turkey Junior Member

Where I come from its legal. 8) 8) :lol: :lol:

19. turkey

turkey Junior Member

Re:

My shotgun is looking good its a 12 gauge and can do the job real good. 8) 8)

20. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

No need to add fuel to the fire... EXCEPT FOR THIS.

The Aussie DPI is considering an introduction of 'SAVANNAH CATS' to australia. Apparently these are hybrids from a variety of Asian and American cats that have amazing agility. DO WE REALLY NEED A SUPERMOGGY HERE.

Savannah cats .... [dunno what to include here] are not quite a breed, they are a hybrid and are very large and agile and ''make playful pets''. I beseech even cat lovers out there, DONT DO THIS. I have lived a lot of my life in the aussie bush and cats as predators are AWESOME. I do not say this with technical authority, I have seen the results of a moggie explosion. There are no 'by-laws officers' in ANY australian deserts or savannah lands. I really do hate cats and it isnt 'cos one gave me toxoplasmosis as a kid. THEY DEVESTATE WILDLIFE, but, and I emphasis, only where it still exists.

cheers,