Bloody cats!!!!

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by PDB, Dec 9, 2007.

1. PDB

PDB Junior Member

Ok yes it's me again!! The mite\flea problem is definetly cats as I now have cat crap on the much :evil: . So is the best thing to do trap them and take them to the pound. I would love any other deterrent, and no a shot gun is not legal.
    Thanks Paul

2. JoanVL

JoanVL Junior Member

We have a pet cat, who gets monstered by a disgusting feral cat who lives in the drains! The bloke next door has the same problem - his two female cats get scared by the feral, and he's trying to trap it in his plastic cat carrier - he'll then take it to the pound. No success yet - I'll let you know.

Our own cat, and next doors' are neutered, well-fed pets with bells on their collars, so I don't think they do much damage.

3. PDB

PDB Junior Member

thanks joanVL look forward to it.

I used to have lovly rhubarb pie when I lived in Dorset. I have a large mulberry tree that fruits well. Can I ask about your recipe and what you do about the little stems?
    Thanks
    Paul

4. elliceh

elliceh Junior Member

Cats with bells still put their dirty little footprints on my car and scratch the paint... :evil: :evil:

I reckon, if you can't keep them inside your yard - don't have them! No cat is domesticated enough to be trusted in the great outdoors by itself.

:-x

5. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

dogs are a good deterent - if you haven't got a dog do a walk around a local park and pick up all the dog eggs.....place them around the yard and it should deter them for a while

I think the only legal thing you can do is take them to a pound.

the illegal thing is to make a cat hat LOL - - there was a bloke in SA doing that and selling them for years.

I advised all my neighbours that I was laying cat traps and anything caught would go to the pound - and it would cost them hundreds in fees and desexing to get them back.

Stopped the cats for a year or two. Almost time to letter box everyone again. I didn't have to set a trap all the cats magically learned how to stay at home

Cat owners amaze me - 99% of them swear black and blue that their dear little moggie doesn't kill anything. They're as bad as junkies who claim their little bit of personal pleasure doesn't hurt anyone... both are blinded to the facts.

6. PDB

PDB Junior Member

again paradisi to the rescue :) Thanks I like the idea of the letter box drop at least it would give them a heads up.
    Thanks
    Paul

7. Terra

Terra Moderator

When we were running the piggery i suspected a cat was taking new born piglets ,there was a semi feral small cat that used to live in the piggery , she used to find me when a sow started farrowing and screach at me and then run back to the sow , she was a tiny fine little thing and i used to feed her , i had seen a glimpse of a big ginger cat so i borrowed a cat trap from the council and caught 12 cats , now i spent a lot of time down there and had never seen any of these , so if you think you have a cat problem you will have .
    You could send the quiet cats home with a collar made from a empty bullet casing that should give the owners the message .
    regards Rob

8. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

PDB - if you have to resort to traps there's a bloke on here who sells them, no idea of prices nothing on his web site

some councils rent out cat traps - with the proviso there's no cruelty and all animals are taken to the pound

9. PDB

PDB Junior Member

Yes paradisi My council does rent out cat traps but they want $60 :evil:
    I asked if the cat owner can pay it and thay said it's my problem :evil: :evil:
    Terra's idea is looking good
    Paul

10. pete152

pete152 Junior Member

Hello,
    Yes I rent them out as well for $30 per week in the Brisbane to Toowoomba to Warwick area, collected from Brisbane or Warwick.

They are a big problem, I work with a local council in that if you catch a feral cat just sign a statuary declaration to to the effect that it is feral (and not yours but you can sure tell they are feral!!) The council will pay the vet fees to have the cat put down.

I am not sure if the Logan or Brisbane City council have a similar scheme going. If not then just take them to the pound.

Cheers,
    Peter

11. arawajo

arawajo Junior Member

I once had problems with a feral cat and I did a search on a popular search site for humane ways to kill a cat. Found out carbon monoxide , ie car exhaust can work. So I managed to trap the cat and I got it into a cat carrier and put the cat carrier inside a big garbage bag and attached it to the car exhaust with an old vacuum cleaner pipe from the local tip. I threw an old horse rug over all that and turned on the car engine. I let it go for 15 mins - not sure how long it needs exactly. When I opened the bag - with much trepidation - I found the cat curled up all peaceful looking and dead. It seemed to be a fairly kind and quick way to deal with the problem. A lot cheaper than a vet too.

12. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

arawajo - that's exactly the way CSIRO used to do it - knew a bloke in the 80's who was trapping wild cats and that's how iot was recopmmended for them to kill them

but if you trap a cat on your suburban property be sure it doesn't have a collar before you do that - - lots of litigious moggie owners - - if you aren't sure take it to the pound

13. elliceh

elliceh Junior Member

cats make great fertiliser for passionfruit vines.... well... i GUESS they would....

14. Duckpond

Duckpond Junior Member

I live in WA. Too far for a trap from QLD, does anyone know of one closer, or anyone have a design i can build. I was thinking of using a large rat sized mouse trap and pleading that the cat was by-catch. Not my fault the cat got in the way of me killing the rats that bury poo in my veggie garden

15. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

I've used (successfully) a dozen or more large rat traps buried just into the soil. the cat comes along to scratch its kitty litter (your vegie garden) and bang bang bang

most cats are quick enough to avoid any serious damage - a bit of tail fur was all I caught - and I only had to set the rat traps for a few days for the cats to get the message

I must say the hardware bloke thought things must be bad at my place having to buy that many rat traps LOL

16. pete152

pete152 Junior Member

The postage on the trap would about $35-$40 to Perth.
    That sounds like a good idea with the rat traps in the garden. That would liven them up.
    Cheers,
    Peter

17. JoanVL

JoanVL Junior Member

I cut the little stalks off with scissors, and put some grated apple in with the washed mulberrries. Then I just mix in a little sugar, and make it into a 'crumble' pie like rhubarb crumble!
    No mulberries now of course - though I'm feeding some mulberry leaves to the chooks, along with parsley, nasturtium, plantain, chickweed, and their very favourite that they would happily kill each other for - purslane.

18. PDB

PDB Junior Member

YUM!!
    Thanks Jone

19. permup

permup Junior Member

Hi, I'm quite sure this audience is probably uninterested in a cat-lover's view, but I thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in. I think owning a cat is one of life's largest pleasures, but it comes with a huge responsibility. If every cat owner kept their cat inside before dusk through until after dawn, there would be far less destruction to wildlife and other animals. De-sexing is essential. Living with a cat on the border of a national park is irresponsible. Its such a shame that humans don't recognise the part they play in the destruction that domesticated animals have on our eco-system. And dogs are as much a part of that destruction as cats. I have seen 2 ferral dogs kill a kangaroo, and believe me there was nothing pretty about that.

20. pete152

pete152 Junior Member

I am interested in your view,and I agree with you. But the wild dogs are only doing what is natural to them,no other way for them to get their food but to get it them self.

Cheers,
    Peter