Black Sapote Question?

Discussion in 'General chat' started by chindonly, Jan 11, 2008.

1. chindonly

chindonly New Member

Hi everyone!

I am new to your forum and have actually been brought here trying to seek out where I can buy the black sapote fruit from? I've heard some great things about it and would love to try it myself being a choco lover:)
    Also what price does it sell for roughly pls?
    Any suggestions muchly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Carol (Brissy)

2. Jez

Jez Junior Member

G'day Carol, welcome to the forum.

Daleys (Click) have it...it's a fairly common tree in the tropics and sub-tropics so it should be fairly widely available at nurseries which sell fruit trees.

You may be a little disappointed if you're expecting it to taste a lot like chocolate, I guess it's a little similar. In my experience, people either REALLY like them or not at all, but there's plenty you can do with them to jazz them up a bit rather than just eating them raw.

3. marcello

marcello Junior Member

Black Sapote Question?

Hi Carol

I recently tried a black sapote for the first time from our tree. If you were expecting a real chocolate taste you might be a little dissappointed.....to me it had the texture of moose (not sure how you spell that but we call it budino in italian) with a very faint chocolate flavour. I think it is worth growing because not only do you get fruit but it is very attractive tree and the flowers smell nice. It looks very similar to a persimon which we also have in fruit at the moment which I cant wait to try because this is one of my favourite fruits.

Buona fortuna (good luck)
    Marcello

4. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

heartgarden.com.au have it - - occassionally

it's well worth having - a wonderful fruit to eat.

there is a lot of variance in the quality of fruit - depending on the parent tree - - some are really like thick chocolate custard, some a bit more astringent - but easily fixed with a dollop of cream and sugar

5. caldera

caldera Junior Member

seedling grown does tend to vary in taste (no surprise there)

Superb and Rick's Late are especially tastey selections

plus a new selection from a most passionate fruit grower by the name of John Piconi

I think we're gonna just call it "Chocolate"