bit of a poo subject

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by graslands, Jul 21, 2010.

1. graslands

graslands Junior Member

Hi all.

What is the best way of dealing with doggie and kitty poo?
    how could I compost it?
    should I compost it seprately?
    I hear digging it in a hole first is good
    any suggestions?
    thanks
    fiona

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day fiona,

we jsut dumped ours around the pawpaws, or in the banana's or around the citrus tree or grape vines.

len

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Compost it separately and use where it won't have contact with edibles eg round trees. Or burying it where it won't be dug up again easily (eg not the vege patch).

A separate worm farm should work too. There's other threads on this if you want to look it up.

4. Woz

Woz Junior Member

Get yourself a 20 litre bucket with a sealable lid. Bakeries usually have some spare from buying in premade fillings etc.

Cut the bottom out and bury it in a hole up to it's neck on the drip line of a tree, fruiting or ornamental. Place offending poos in the bucket and replace lid. You can also pu a brick/rock on top if necessary. The worms will find their way there the hole in the bottom. When half full, remove bucket leaving the poo in place and fill in the hole. Move bucket to a hole in a new location and repeat. Thus, poo is dealt with safely and fertilises the tree without coming into direct contact with edibles.

Woz