Biochar Presentation, Hamilton, New Zealand, 13th June

Discussion in 'Permaculture Groups, Contacts Activities Anounceme' started by bazman, May 29, 2012.

1. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Hi All

I have been asked to present in New Zealand at Hamilton's Transition Towns along side Alfred Harris and Wolfgang Wienzetll.

I don't have a time or place as yet but this date is pretty well set (13th June). I will update this post once I have those details.

If you have any New Zealand Permaculture/Gardening/Organic/Biodynamic contacts or networks please let them know as between the three speakers we will cover pretty well everything Biochar.

It will be my first time back to NZ in 23 years. :)

BLACK EARTH, GREEN ENERGY, BRIGHT FUTURE
    Barry Batchelor (Black Earth Products, Brisbane)
    Like all good Australians, Barry was born and bred in Aotearoa/New Zealand. Barry is an award-winning organic gardener, permaculture designer and the owner of Australia’s first company to produce and supply Biochar for backyard gardeners, horticulture and agricultural businesses. Barry will talk about his experience with biochar production from the backyard to the farm and the use of biochar in organic gardens and for a range of farm applications.

Wolfgang Wienzetll (EcoTechnology Ltd, Tauranga)
    Wolfgang began life in Aotearoa/New Zealand living with fellow Austrian ex-pat Joe Palaischer, and eventually working at Price’s Foundry. He has international experience in both waste management and mining, and works as a consultant to Transpacific Industries. He invented a continuous flow process for manufacturing biocarbon by flash carbonization, and is currently managing the design and build of a $14million project in India. Wolfgang will talk about his experiences in waste management and the energy efficient manufacture of biocarbon.

Alfred Harris (Pacific BioCarbon Ltd)
    Alfred moved to Waitakaruru at the beginning of 2012. As well as being appointed a master gardener by the Kirikiriroa/Hamilton City Council, he has worked at the Orongomai Community Garden in Upper Hutt, and co-ordinates and carries out research on a range of novel biocarbons for Pacific BioCarbon. Potential uses include carriers and enhancers of beneficial soil microbes, prevention of facial eczema, reduction of methane emissions in cows, and clean-up of rivers and lakes. Alfred will speak about some of this work in the wider context of regenerative food production in Aotearoa/NZ.

2. bazman

bazman Junior Member

I got the location wrong (now Thames) I posted a new topic here >>>>

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

For a moment there I thought that NZ was going to be knee deep in BlackEarth as you travelled from town to town sprinkling it out of your pocket like the Johnny Appleseed of biochar!

5. bazman

bazman Junior Member

lol, well it's not that far from the truth. I'm there on biochar business and have made time to present.

Funny you should say apple seeds as I am just starting work today on an apple project....

I am a little worried about that cold weather... I am a Qld warm blood now. =)

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Not that it has been all that warm here over the past week....