Biochar compost blends forsale

Discussion in 'Permaculture consultants, businesses, resources' started by bazman, Jan 13, 2012.

1. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Hi Guys

Warning: Gratuitous plugging of my products and business :)

I have finally finished making the mixing gear so I can custom blend compost and Biochar on my farm. If you are interested in my Biochar, chicken manure compost and fertiliser blend. I will sell direct in 25 litre bags and 200 litre drums. I hope to start selling direct at a few markets around Brisbane and the Sunshine coast. Starting with Caboolture Sunday markets in a few weeks time. I will also sell direct from my farm at Lake Kurwongbah which is 30km Nth of Brisbane if you wanted to pick up directly. Free tour of my Permie gardens is included :)

I have worked with a well known horticulturist to develop the compost blend and I feel this is one of the best ways to apply Biochar to soils. If you wanted extra products blended into a mix I would be happy to help, Bentonite clays for sandy soils or CPP/BD500 range as an example.

I sell poultry litter Biochar in 4kg tubs, 200 litre drums, 820kg bulk bags and I can ship Biochar all over Australia. I also have a product called BiocharMax in a 5kg tub which is Biochar blended with minerals and fertilisers. I will custom blend BiocharMax in 200 litre drums if any one was interested too.

I am happy to custom blend with Biochar, let me know what you want and I will do my best source the ingredients or use supplied ingredients. If you have any questions feel free to ask here or via my website Black Earth Products.

2. matto

matto Junior Member

Sounds like a good enterprise. what are the compost blends you have designed for? Trees, orchards and veges?

3. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Hi Matto

The base compost blend uses a fully composted humus from animal manures and saw dust, a shorter term poultry compost which is high in NPK and a poultry litter Biochar which also contains a good NPK ratio. All this creates a short term boost for plants and longer term stable nutrients, labile carbon, micro-organisms and all of Biochars recalcitrant carbon structural benefits. This base is great fruit trees and vegi gardens. It's a good blend to boost raised garden beds structure which are quite popular these days (for some reason.)

I can reduce or take out the high NPK element which would be more suitable for Aussie native gardens or growing native hardwood trees as an example.

Biochar is really good at soaking up everything, so doing a custom blend and soaking the Biochar with liquid vermicast, comfrey and BD500/CPP would be a pretty good product base.

A lot of new gardeners and permaculture students want to kick start their soils, these sorts of blends are a really good starting point while they learn the fine art of composting and the reality that improving their environments takes time with lots of effort.

4. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

I've run my hands through his compost blend, it smelled nice.

To me, it made sense in creating a mixed blend as a niche product for direct application, rather than kickstarting it ones self.

5. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

6. Dzionik

Dzionik Junior Member

Seems like another commercial product with no sense, real biochar is low temperature burning product.
    And total disappointment is the lack of any scientific or experimental trial.
    I have no doubt that the biochare is good thing but this kind of commercialization with no effort to investigate real benefit is shit.

7. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Probably they think there is enough research out there for them to jump on the bandwagon
    But well spotted about the temperatures. Not just not as useful, but possibly environmentally negative impacts too

8. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Biochar produced around 550 deg C has a good porous structure and retains and converts much of the carbon into a recalcitrant carbon. I'm unsure of the tech used to produce Soilreef biochar so I'm not going to comment on their product.

My trials are always on going, feed back from those who have used my product commercially is also important too. I tend to use pot trials for many of my tests as they are cheaper and easier to do in house. I have done a lot of work with Qld Uni (Gatton) and the boys at NSWDPI have been doing some really good work over the years with 150 field plots under management. https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/research/topics/biochar

As a commercial producer/retailer of Biochar my massive company of one unpaid over worked person (me) lol is doing their best to develop a series of sustainable products built around sound science and low emission controlled process engineering.

Not all Biochar is equal, like composts it's source feedstock and how it is made can effect the quality of the final product.

Just one note, the term to burn something implies that oxidation occurs which in general means the biomass will progress through to ash. Biochar is made by pyrolysis, heating the biomass in the absence of oxygen. Most produced Biochars are quenched to quickly remove heat from the product, as hot Biochar exposed to oxygen can re-ignite.

Time to get off the computer and go blend some compost and Biochar. =)

9. Dzionik

Dzionik Junior Member

You are the MAN Baz :) thanks for the link.

10. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

11. bazman

bazman Junior Member

I'm working with the no till guys. That is where my Fatboy is going to go if I can ever stop tweaking it. I have been testing changes to the flue design by adding a long slot which creates flue vortex effects for improving the gas burn up and reducing the air flue mix. :)

For those who are interested I had access to a $15k Tesco flue analyser for a weekend. I did some tests on what looks like my clean burning flue design. I have since changed the flue design and it still needs more tweaking.

After discussing the results below with James Joyce (BiGchar) he suggested I try the below set up (now implemented... sort of :) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bJXop5kkpA

This is the results from my 75 litre Fatboy Gasifier using dry wood chip and leaf matter from road side chipping. (old flue design)

Just after start up from the top of the flue

696 NOx mgm2
    1.23 CO2%
    172.4c FT
    0 H2 ppm
    32 NO ppm
    19.22 O2%
    1244 CO pmm

15 min after startup from the top of the flue

696 NOx mgm2
    2.46 CO2%
    305.5c FT
    61 H2 ppm
    60 NO ppm
    17.61 O2%
    519 CO pmm

19 min after startup in the condenser/hat. (this is the connection area between the main unit and the flue, this has a small gap to allow extra air in. This gives you a bit of an idea on how much gas cleaning goes on in the flue. The gases should be in the flue for at least 2 seconds while mine is less than 1 second. My next system will have a much better flue design based on a basic cyclonic thermal oxidiser.

904 NOx mgm2
    4.99 CO2%
    321c FT
    0 H2 ppm
    166 NO ppm
    13.89 O2%
    3702 CO pmm