Bill Mollison, nominted for Australian of the year

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Michaelangelica, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Bill Mollison

Known as the 'father of permaculture', Bill Mollison is an influential figure in the world of sustainable agriculture. After studying psychology and science at university he pioneered the teaching of Environmental Psychology before, in 1972, he developed the idea of permaculture, now accepted as a viable alternative to chemical-based agriculture around the world.

Mollison is the founding director of The Permaculture Institute, which he describes as the "largest aid program in the whole world," and which operates hundreds of thousands of permaculture programs globally. In 1991, he won the Right Livelihood Award for his work on practical solutions to the world's problems. He has been named one of Australia's Icons of the Millennium, has received the Banksia Environment Award and was featured among G's Top 20 Eco Heroes in the November/December issue.

According to Mollison, he achieved all of this without much support or interest from governments or politicians, making him a reluctant finalist for this year's Senior Australian of the Year and a bit bemused by all the fuss.

"I would walk into a village and say, I'm not here with any government or any church and I'm here to help. That was my approach," he said.

He thinks education, not awards, is what will ensure his legacy lives on in the decades to come. "I am a teacher," he said. "And I taught thousands of teachers and now they are teaching."
    https://www.gmagazine.com.au/news/1792/australian-year-2010

2. matto

matto Junior Member

Maybe next year they will nominate Peter Andrews... and give him a run for his money.