Bill Mollison - indigenous cultures

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by call-u-one, Feb 24, 2018.

1. call-u-one

call-u-one Junior Member

Hello!

I understood that Bill Mollison gained some influences/inspiration from different indigenous cultures. Does anyone know if there is something written about that?

Best regards

2. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    All indigenous (first peoples) people know they are connected to the land, sky, water and fire, with out these they understand they will perish and so they take care of these things that bring life. White men do not understand this, they think they can rape and pillage the land and they will go on forever. Even though they came to turtle island because they had fished out the waters around their home land and they had cut down most of the trees on their home land, so they came here to continue their barbaric ways. Bill understood that we lived with the land not upon it and so he studied how we took care of the land and it inspired him.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  3. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    I'm sorry, I just cant help but laugh when I read things like this, I know I shouldn't cos its just not P.C......but.....indigenous people are original inhabitants of a particular location.
    In France, they are the French, Germany had Germans etc...

Are we confusing these peoples with those who are still closer to the natural rhythm of the Earth, the seasonal changes than those who can still live in harmony and in sync with their local seasonal changes without the need for dependency on the so called modern civilization?

4. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    My reference is Nakota Sioux, my heritage, my people were here (The Americas or as we call it Turtle Island) long before the first European invaders showed up.

It would totally amaze me if any of the European invaders were ever, in their great, great, great grandparents time, in a position of being in sync with the earth mother.
    It was the Europeans using up most of their resources without replanting trees or letting fish reproduce enough that forced them to seek other places to find their foods.
    Greed has always been the driving force of the Europeans, they didn't care to try to be "sustainable" and neither did the Romans.

I seriously doubt that Germans were the first people in Germany since that part of the world was inhabited before the time of the Romans, who attempted to conquer the area and lost to those inhabitants the Gauls who were displaced by the Teutons who were displaced by the Batavians. It was only when Rome labeled the area "Germania" that the term German came into being.

There is the Definition: indigenous, endemic, aboriginal mean belonging to a locality. native implies birth or origin in a place or region and may suggest compatibility with it. native tribal customs indigenous applies to that which is not only native but which, as far as can be determined, has never been introduced or brought from elsewhere.
    Or the Oxford rendition:
    Indigenous peoples, also known as first peoples, aboriginal peoples or native peoples, are ethnic groups who are the original inhabitants of a given region, in contrast to groups that have settled, occupied or colonized the area more recently. Groups are usually described as indigenous when they maintain traditions or other aspects of an early culture that is associated with a given region. Not all indigenous peoples share this characteristic, usually having adopted substantial elements of a colonizing culture, such as dress, religion or language. Indigenous peoples may be settled in a given region or exhibit a nomadic lifestyle across a large territory, but they are generally historically associated with a specific territory on which they depend. Indigenous societies are found in every inhabited climate zone and continent of the world.

So, unless you are at least part Maori, you are not indigenous to NZ but part of the invasion force of Europeans.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  5. wanderingfree

wanderingfree Junior Member

Climate:
    At present: Tropical
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples

Obviously do not revere wikipedia as a font of truth, but it's an interesting description.

Somehow, (strangely?) I get the impression that the term itself is used, at least by the UN, to be a little derisive.

However, it is clear to me at least, that the word definitely does not include such people as those from e.g. France or Germany.
    Those countries _had_ indigenous people, a long time ago.