Big plans, need input

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by TWalls, Oct 6, 2013.

1. TWalls

TWalls New Member

Hello All!

My name is Tony and I will soon be leaving the military. My dream and passion is to live in an Eden community where anyone can come and work, eat and live at their leisure. Disenfranchised individuals frustrated with corporate lives can come and re-learn the happiness that working and producing tangible results that feed the core needs of life can bring. Children can come and learn where their food comes from and appreciate healthy eating and sustainable growing. Through grants and private funding, I would like to make this a multi-faceted living and learning experience; this would include bee-keeping, the edible forest, greenhouses, irrigation planning, cabin building, animal care (chickens, dogs, etc.), and everything in between.

The transition stage I am in now is to set myself up for success in the future: go to school for small business, do more research and get hands on experience in the permaculture world, and find a suitable amount of land at an affordable price to start my legume/nitrate heavy planting stage. I would love and appreciate any and all input from the members here, as your information, critiques and even criticism will be valuable moving forward.

Take care!

Tony

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Which part of the world are you in Tony? You may be better served by finding a community and learning on site, rather than trying to set one up yourself from scratch. If you give us an idea of where you are we can point you towards communities that are local to you. There's a pile of information on the board about intentional communities (IC) - use the search tool to take a look.

3. TWalls

TWalls New Member

I'm open to anywhere - seriously. I am currently located in the States, (Augusta, Georgia specifically) and willing to relocate anywhere that this dream can be attained.

Thanks for such a quick response! Having just found this site a few hours ao, I'm still furiously reading.

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I'm more familiar with the Antipodes -
    In New Zealand you might like to look at Kotare.
    Round my neck of the woods is Crystal Waters.
    You can search Australia (and I think internationally as well) here.

5. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Tony, welcome to the PRI Forum.

While you are at it, you might like to have a look at:

Christian, Diana Leafe (2007) Finding Community: How to join an Ecovillage or Intentional Community

Cheerio, Markos

6. TWalls

TWalls New Member

Wow! Thanks for the help, got a lot of reading to do..

7. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Welcome TWalls.
    In a very informal way, Michael Pilarski is working up a community of like-minded Permaculturists in Hot Springs, Montana: https://www.goodseedco.net/montana_permaculture.html
    (note that Michael mentions a few of the best known IC's around the states in this article)

On the other side of the IC coin, Paul Wheaton is building a community near Missoula: https://www.permies.com/t/8751/paul-wheaton-farm/paul-wheaton-community

There are many more .... maybe we can post IC's as we find them here in your thread!