Best Shady tropical trees - Further to the fig tree problem

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by sun burn, Oct 9, 2010.

1. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Our fig tree has a diametre of probably 30 metres. My beer table and chairs is just not that big. What tropical trees make lovely shade trees - one where someone might want to sit and enjoy a beer or even lunch on a hot day.

I can think of the tamarind. What else is good? And what's it diametre when mature? if you know.

2. pierre

pierre Junior Member

Hi sun burn,

If you are a coffee drinker, how about a coffee bush (Coffea arabica), or two? It can be pruned to keep it as small as you want, carries pretty clusters of fragrant white flowers, it looks great as the beans start to ripen up and is naturally an understorey plant of the tropics. And to boot, you'll be doing the environment a lot of good too ("fair trade" is not equal to "organic", lots of water/pesticides/artificial fertiliser used in its production and cultivation of coffee is contributing to deforestation in the tropics.

I have a few beans that I am going to give a go under leuceana, or similar. Have seen coffee growing in Perth as an understorey to ice cream bean.

Just not sure how your local bird life would take to the juicy red berries...!

Cheers,
    Pierre

3. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

poinciana big spreading tree - lots of shade, red flowers with the one white attractor flower in each bunch - the ones near us have a shade ranging from a few meters to about 8 or ten metres each side of the trunk

ice cream bean inga edulis - another large spreading canopy - lots of shade - up to 10-15 diameter

4. tropicalexotics

tropicalexotics Junior Member

The choice is simple imo..
    Find 3 or 4 saracca trees and plant them in a grove approx 4-6 metres apart.
    We have one about 20 metres from the house and it just seems to always be in flower or flushing beautiful new pinkish "handkerchief" type new growth....the amount of birdwing , ulysses and other butterflies and nector feeding birds,honeyeaters etc that fight over the flowers is quite amazing.
    Their are other equally awesome closely related trees like brownea,maniltoa,amherstia,but the most frequent and profusely flowering one is the Yellow Saracca..

Limberlost in Cairns sell them but ask around at markets and you could pick them up for 10-15 bucks...Its my favorite tropical tree of all.

Scott

5. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

They sure are good looking , but something that gave fruit and looked great would be even better 8)
    I think Petai might be a nice shade tree. It looks very much like a Poinciana but bears long attractive pods full of tasty beans. Its Parkia speciosa https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkia_speciosa
    shame about the suss 'stink bean' common name ,

Attached Files:

6. philthomas

philthomas Junior Member

Jakfruit

7. tropicalexotics

tropicalexotics Junior Member

When sitting below just be sure to wear a helmet.

8. heimen2u

heimen2u New Member

plant shady tree

i live in central california coast area, a lot of oak tree, what kind of other shady i can plant?

9. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

In Grave Danger Of Falling Food

Tezza