berry patch ideas

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by lukemurphy, Apr 17, 2013.

1. lukemurphy

lukemurphy Junior Member

Hi all,

When I first got into gardening I started a veggie patch in a certain spot in my yard for no reason in particular, and it has stayed as the vegie patch since then. I guess I've just been too stubborn to change it. Now that I'm actually paying some attention to the way things happen around here, I realise that in late autumn and winter the area is lucky to get 3 hours of sun per day. It does get a good 6 hours + in spring and summer though.

I don't want to cut the jacaranda that causes this shade as its a nice tree and the bees love it, so I thought maybe a berry patch would work here, as they mostly need good sun in spring and summer and are dormant/cut back in late autumn and winter? I had in mind raspberries, youngberry, loganberry, strawberry, cranberry and atherton raspberry.

I would appreciate growing info on any of these, and some ideas of how to design a berry patch, possible companion plants, and if these berries will produce well with only a few hours a day of winter sun (and if not any other ideas for the site). I am in Wollongong, NSW, Australia. Thanks

Luke

So