1. permup

permup Junior Member

Adrian, I am very interested in your statement about keeping native bees. I was always under the impression that they wouldn't be happy in a man-made hive and were too elusive to "keep". If you could give us some pointers on startup, where to get them (or how), best location etc I would be very grateful.

How do you find the honey production compared to european bees? Are the bees more suseptible to problems (health or otherwise)? Is the honey remarkably different from earuopean bee-produced honey? Are they as agressive when disturbed?

Very excited now, as it has long been an interest of mine.

2. ebunny

ebunny Junior Member

Several of the northern beaches permculture clubs members have them now and have ordered them online. They get delivered in the box and you simply mount it and "open the door". I can put you in touch if you want to chat to them.

3. permup

permup Junior Member

I've done some research and it recommends that you don't harvest honey from them if you live in Sydney, as the temperature gets below 18 degrees, and they need it to survive the winters. I don't think it would be worth keeping them unless I could get some honey. Thanks for the tip.

4. ebunny

ebunny Junior Member

Those who have them here say they got them for the pollination benefits (I actually spotted one in my garden from my neighbour about 800m away who's just got some - and assuming it was hers, though I haven't seen any until she got them). They did say that once a year you can harvest honey but that's it.

5. adrians

adrians Junior Member

we started out with one hive in 2008, and we now have three (we split them once a year) the reason it is 3 and not 4, is I weighed them and one wasn't as heavy as it should be.

We have only taste the honey, not harvested it, because I've been told you either choose to split the hive or rob the honey.. I'll wait till i have enough hives before taking the honey..
    It makes sense that as the bees are further out of the their range, they need more food to get through the winter and therefore maybe you can't harvest.

We certainly have alot of bees around when we let vegies go to seed etc, though we still seem to get better success with things like pumpkin with hand-polination.

6. Glenn18

Glenn18 Junior Member

Purplepear,in hindsight this made me LMAO..

"My tip for keeping bees is to be confident"

My old neigbour was selling the block next to her house block in QLD and asked me to help her son move the hives from said block to her house one.Well I had all the confidence in the world armed IN..2 pairs of trackdacks,T shirt,long sleave shirt,bloody thick wollen jumper some netting on my head and welding gloves.Suffice to say I didn;t get stung but then again they were natives....LOL.

7. Nick Huggins GC Qld

Nick Huggins GC Qld Junior Member

Is anyone here keeping bees for profit? I'm helping a mate in Sydney write a business plan around bee keeping. Honey production (Niche Product) then Service (Install, Construct, Educate). If anyone knows of someone doing this please let me know. Email nick(at)globallandrepair.com.au

8. hawkypork

hawkypork Junior Member

A beekeeper I knew was making good money from pollen (sold to health shop- $11/kilo in 2005 about 2kg/hive/day during a flow). Beeswax is also more valuable that honey. The other great cash sideline is bee colony and swarm removal with the added benefit of getting more workers for you.
    regards
    Haakon