Bandicoot desparation

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Peter Warne, Apr 16, 2007.

1. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

When you've got fence climbers, or jumpers that jump and hook their front feet on the top of the fence and get their back toes in the wire and push themselves over, a fence roller seems to do a pretty good job. They work fine against dogs, coyotes, raccoons, but I'm not sure about opossums.

The fence posts have to extend at least 6"/15cm higher than the fence. Fasten heavy wire to one post, then push the wire through a length of narrow pipe (.75-1"/2-2.5cm diameter), then wrap or otherwise tightly fasten the wire to the next post. It must be clear of the fencing so it doesn't drag or catch on the roller.

When the animal tries to get over the fence, it hits the rolling pipe and can't get purchase on it well enough to go over, and falls backward.

Also, when you want to identify what kind of animal you've got on your property, clear an area down to the soil, rough up the surface just a bit, put some kind of bait in the center, then carefully sweep the area with a broom. Check the area at appropriate times for footprints. Books and online sites can tell you what you've got.

Sue

2. TropicalRose

TropicalRose Junior Member

We have bandicoots here but I take a different approach. I make it easier for them to eat on the other side of the fence by tossing blemished produce over the fence for them. I also grow snake beans and tomatoes around the perimeter which seems to stop them going any further. The tomatoes are not my main tomato planting so I don't mind losing a few of those and they can have as many snake beans as they like-they grow like triffids. Might be worth a try.