Bad whales - I kid you not

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Mike_E_from_NZ, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Mike_E_from_NZ

Mike_E_from_NZ Junior Member

This is not ignorance. This is psychopathic.

https://www.ngnews.com/news/2004/06/0622 ... ies_2.html

Whaling Nations Blame Whales for Fish Declines

A spokesperson for the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW), based in Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts, said the tactic employed by Japan and Norway is a ploy to get around the international moratorium on whaling.

2. Alex M

Alex M Junior Member

Rigorously Applied Stupidity once again. It just shows how people's thinking can be easily clouded by dodgey argumentation, or sophistry, which I believe to be one of the great enemies of our time.

You're right Mike, this is truly psychotic. :evil:

3. Douglas J.E. Barnes

Douglas J.E. Barnes Junior Member

The Japanese whaling lobby has been saying this for a long time. I've got a student whose husband works for a fishing corp that whales. (Wait a minute! I thought those whales were for "research!")

Japanese businessmen are not shy at trying the crudest propaganda bullshit to try to get what they want. After a dry year in '93 (if I remember the year correctly) the government allowed the import of foreign rice from Thailand. This made the farmer's lobby none too happy and to show how unsafe the foreign rice was, they got a load of it, dumped cigarette butts and dead rats in it and said, 'Look! See how dirty it is?!!' Juvenile. Exceedingly juvenile.

In truth, thanks in large part to the crap Japanese industry has been dumping into the ocean for the past 100 years, the most compelling argument against whaling it that the meat is unsafe for human consumption. Unless you really crave dioxins, that is.

4. Stacm

Stacm Junior Member

Ask the Government of Denmark to side with the Whales

"Denmark cast a deciding vote against the whales at this year's International Whaling Commission meeting. With a one vote majority the whalers passed a resolution promoting the absurd and scientifically discredited idea that whales are to blame for the worldwide decline in fish stocks, and a return to full scale commercial whaling. "

This came from my greenpeace list. You can send an email letter to the Danish Government here

https://ctk.greenpeace.org/od-en/ctk-letters/get-info?letter_id=2217583&referrer_id=

I don't know if email thingos ever work but its worth a try
    Stacm

5. Douglas J.E. Barnes

Thakns Stacm. The Greenpeace thingos get sent, and we (all us Greenpeacers) stopped Mitsubishi's ocean-ruining project in Mexico. And Greenpeace makes sending so easy....

6. Stacm

Stacm Junior Member

thanks for telling me that those bulk email things work Douglas. I also sent a vitirolic email to the Prime Minister of Japan and to the emperor.. who knows maybe it'll make a difference
    It's difficult to find ways to feel empowered on this issue. On a personal note I feel really saddened by the whole whale debate. The ban on whaling was the first environmental debate I got involved with as a kid in primary school- when the ban was put in place, it felt to me as if environmental activism really worked (and I've been involved ever since). Its seems a real bugger to me that we now have to have the debate again- and it makes me wobbley to think that all the hard fought for stuff is again up for debate (and once again those whose fate we're deciding - ie whales- still don't have a voice) I'm for giving future generations (of both people and whales) a vote (or 567) at the next meeting..
    Now I'm off to scout around for Princess Mary's contact details- surely she can petition the danish government or at least wear an "anti-whaling " teeshirt at her next civic event !
    Stacm

7. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Go Stacey Good on Ya,Well Done 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Tezza

8. Douglas J.E. Barnes

I feel a bit embarrassed that I can't remember the names of the companies, but one of my student's employer (a Japanese company) bought a NZ company which Greenpeace recently held a campaign against. Long story short, the NZ company said, "no way we're getting into whaling," and the J-company - Nissin, I think - got right out of whaling.

One of the things that caused headaches for Nissin were server hacks (I don't know if they were officially from Greenpeace or not), which, as computer guy, my student had to deal with. He didn't seem too alarmed when I told him I sent his company an email over the whaling thing. But he was relieved when his company got out of whaling.

If we keep focusing on each individual company, they will crack one by one.

I do support the trdition whale hunt in Japan - as long as it's done traditionally. If they paddle out in a wooden boat and chuck a handmade harpoon on a rope, more power to them. But a floating factory with explodive-tipped, pneumatically (or however) propelled harpoons are not part of Japan's traditional history.

9. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

I agree. The whalers in the old days had serious cahoonas. But they were limited in the number of whales they could catch by the logistics of the thing. This type of whaling died out as soon as the big fishing boats started modern whaling practices, simply because there were no longer the whales available to hunt.

I saw a documentary recently about the old whalers at Eden. There were pods of killer whales who used to herd a whale towards the whalers. In return they got to eat part of the whale. They particularly liked the heart.
    https://www.batangabee.com/whales/orca.htm

There is nothing 'traditional' about the way Japanese whalers operate today.

10. Douglas J.E. Barnes

Traditional Japanese Whaling
    [​IMG]
    Here is the Yushin Maru, a 700-year-old Japanese whaling skiff. Visible on the bow is the hand-whittled harpoon, and the whalers themselves are visible wearing the traditional hand-made, ricestalk rain slickers. The skiff itself is made of cedar and is 21 feet in length.

11. PeterM

PeterM Junior Member

Lies, damn lies, and the Japan Whaling Association

The Japan Whaling Association's website makes for some annoying reading. Here's their Q&A on whaling: https://www.whaling.jp/english/qa.html

According to them, whales are "a threat to world food security". https://www.whaling.jp/english/news/0306_02.html :-x
    All they need now is their own "coallition of the willing" to hunt down these terrorist whales. Oh, that's right, they bribe and threaten small nations to support them at the IWC.

Has anyone here ever seen Japan's delegate at the IWC, Joji Morishita? The guy lies straight to your face and puts on a smug smile while doing it. Here's the lying bastard:
    https://articles.news.aol.com/news/photo.adp?id=20060618143309990011

Here's the transcript from a recent ABC interview with him: https://www.seashepherd.org/news/media_050627_1.html Its worth a read.

------------

12. Douglas J.E. Barnes

13. Squeak

Squeak Junior Member

Bumping.

Trust me, the Norwegians are just as mental.

14. PeterM

PeterM Junior Member

Whale meat

I just watched a food show on Japanese TV a couple of nights ago about whale meat. People in the industry were complaining that there is just too much frozen meat in storage, so they were presenting recipe ideas and showing how delicious whale meat can be in an attempt to reduce the massive stockpile.

Problem is, most people just aren't interested, so they are having an increasingly difficult time creating a market for whale (and dolphin) meat. So the industry is getting more creative and working on influencing the younger generations. They are pumping millions of dollars into advertising and pro-whale recipe shows in a attempt to keep whale meat relevant. Unfortunately, even as interest wanes, the government is increasing subsidies for more hunting to increase catches and ensure people stay employed and the industry.

However, much of the surplus meat now just gets added to pet food.

15. Douglas J.E. Barnes

There was something in a recent issue of the Ecologist (which I don't have on me at the moment) which goes over the termendous amounts of mercury, dioxins, furans amd other contaminants in whale meat (a lot of those contaminants originating from Japan). The stuff is only good for baka na, ganko na old men. Feeding it to children amounts to child abuse and feeding it to pets is animal abuse.