Backyard farm and school garden

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Kaibis, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Kaibis

Kaibis New Member

Climate:
    Temperate
    Hi,

We live in the Hunter Valley, NSW. We have a suburban property (Two 1/4 acre blocks with houses, side-by-side, we rent out the second house, and use the backyard for more garden space.

Currently we have about 30 fruit trees, and a large garden area, as well as a dozen chooks.

I also volunteer at a small primary school in the area. With less than a hundred kids, but a huge outdoor area, it is open, with lots of ground doing nothing. Myself and another parent have begun working to transform the underused vegie patch into a wonderful resource for the school and the students.

We are both beginner gardeners though (I have been gardening for only a few years, and have taken a few courses with a local permaculture group) and find ourselves with loads and loads of questions, especially about propagation, soil, and mulch. Did I mention that the school garden also has chooks?

We have plans for expanding a fruit orchard, creating a propagation work area, planting pick-and-eat foods near the student lunch areas, creating outdoor classroom spaces, raising chickens (maybe some sheep one day!!), creating a native garden (for play, to encourage birds, and as a further outdoor learning space). It is a long term project, and it would be great to have a place that I could ask questions... I am hoping that this is it.

Kind regards,
    Cassie

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Cassie and welcome!
    It sounds like you're well on your way with some excellent plans. Feel free to ask questions ... lots of experience in the forums.
    Would love to see pics of your property and school plots.