Back to Eden Film

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by kyklos, Sep 15, 2011.

1. kyklos

kyklos Junior Member

2. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Junior Member

I tried to watch it, but all the biblical quotes and discussion of God's Will, etc, really turned me off.

Such a shame, because it was informative for the 15 minutes I could stomach.

3. kyklos

kyklos Junior Member

If you can "stomach" it I highly recommend you watch it anyway.

I can't say I'm a big fan of the Bible but you know if you try hard enough you can apply practically any quote to anything in your life. He's just a guy that sees correlations between some quotes in a book and what he observes around him. Hell if more church groups planted permaculture gardens instead of great green lawns this world would be in a better place VERY quickly... just imagine how fast permaculture would spread then.

I see nothing wrong in correlating a permaculture garden to the garden of eden.

4. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    Don't see it. Doesn't somewhere in the old testament say that it's a sin to plant 2 crops in the same field?

5. kyklos

kyklos Junior Member

The Bible; the book which should be taken literally and with the most consistent message. :think:

Whatever, even without all the bible references this man is using some plain common (or rare at this point) sense to point out the MAJOR fallacies of mono-cropping and traditional agriculture. Really how different is his "talking to God" than Derrick Jensen's "talking to the trees". Perspective people. Call it what you want. If it takes a religious angle to get Permaculture's "foot in the door" of typically less receptive people's minds, then so be it.

6. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

It has been my surprise that many people think Permaculture has to do with, and this is a quote from a farmer, "Isn't that one of those wacky hippie pot growing cult things?" I am not saying the 2 can't coexist, far from it. I just don't relish a organized religions being the road we walk down to bring Permaculture more to the fore front.

Instead, I point out it is a practical way to get the most from a given area by making everything work together on a property from the house outwards.

7. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    i agree with you totally kyk. whatever it takes to gets the masses to accept a little environmental responsibility is fine by me.