Baby Spinach

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by fiona, Apr 3, 2011.

1. fiona

fiona Junior Member

Hi all

We go through a lot of baby spinach. I'd like to be growing lots and lots of it. I had thought it was just spinach picked early, but in the nurseries they seem to sell a different plant called baby spinach. I haven't seen any seeds that seem to be the plant from places like Diggers though.

What should I grow? Suggestions for a variety of spinach that I can pick young and use in salads - and have a similar, very mild flavour like the baby spinach that is in all the supermarkets?

(I put it in fruit smoothies for my kids and although the smoothie goes green, they can't taste it so don't mind, and they drink it. Many other greens leave a bitterness - so I really do want something very mild.)

Fiona

2. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Warrigul greens (you'll need to remove the oxalic acid by pouring boiling water over it when it sits in a colander before adding it to a smoothie), or amaranth - which grows like a weed, and you can get it in green or red. Fancy a red green smoothie! Endives would do the job as well - but you'll need to put a pot over it for a few days before harvesting it to reduce the bitterness. Silverbeet. Kang Kong. Malabar spinach.
    There's LOTS of leafy green options out there....

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Without a botanical name it is hard to know what you are talking about. "Baby" Spinach (Spinacia oleracea) could be just spinach, picked young.
    However many call "Silver Beet" (Beta spp.). Spinach
    and there are many others SEE:-
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinach_(disambiguation)

Try putting some green herbs/plants/weeds like Parsley, Brahami, Gotu Kola etc in their smoothies too. You should try for a lot of variety in greens and avoid too much oxalic acid every day.
    https://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/duke/highchem.pl
    It is a pity about bitter tastes (dandelion etc) as they actually are helpful for liver function and recently have been shown to help asthma and probably allergies.

5. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member