Avocado in a pot

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Flatland, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Flatland

Flatland Member

I have just bought a Hass avocado plant. As it is winter here and we get pretty strong winds I was wondering if instead of planting it out I might transplant it into a bigger pot and grow it in a sheltered spot until next summer. And then I got to thinking would it be a good idea to keep it in a pot for a year and plant it out the following summer.
    Any thoughts appreciated

2. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Avocado is a deep tap root tree, if you are going to keep it in a pot the pot has to be really tall so the tap root doesn't curl. That is unless you plan to just keep it in a container all its life. I have one right now that is in a container but the container is 1m tall and .5m diameter.

If you can, plant it out and erect a temporary green house over it (plastic works really well since you are going to pull it down as spring warms up).
    If you can't do that, just find a large diameter piece of pipe to use as a container. Mine is a hunk of drain pipe (black plastic that is for culverts I think. I just hacksawed it to the length I thought would work and set it on a flat concrete stepping stone for a base, it is working out fairly well so far.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  3. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Ive got a Wurtz in a pot they are a dwarf variety though

4. Nicolai Barca

Nicolai Barca New Member

Feral Pig Control
    Climate:
    Hawaii- Tropical Pacific Island
    You can keep it in a pot for that long but it may be hard on the long term health of the root system. Probably not a huge difference though. I don't think it is unusual for grafted avocado to be in pots for two years here while in the nurseries and they do relatively fine after planting. Ideally it would be a dwarf and I don't see a problem with just transplanting it to a larger pot. You could even keep it in a really large pot for its entire life. There are many rees here which don't grow well for whatever reason but it's amazing how many avocados can come off an ago tree just 4 feet wide and tall. ...almost as many avocados as leaves.