Australian Story: Back To Earth

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by newcroft, Jun 1, 2009.

1. newcroft

newcroft Junior Member

Tonight on Australian Story (1st June 2009); https://www.abc.net.au/austory/default.htm

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Re: Australian Story: Back To Earth

Thanks for the heads up Newcroft - it was interesting - though lacking in details about what they were actually doing to the soil. I did catch something about humic acid- which if I'm correct is worm wee? You'd need a very LARGE worm farm to pour it over your crops....

3. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

4. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I caught it on ABC2 last night. It struck me as a conventional farmers biodynamics. Like a missing link between conventional and biodynamics

Basically, it highlighted the fact that the CSIRO is now big business' bitch. I loved the guy who was saying (and I paraphrase) 'I can understand why they didn't give him any money to research biological farming, because there is no peer-reviewed evidence to suggest there is anything to it.' Ummm, well, that is the whole point isn't it!!?

Anyway, it was nice to see farmers moving towards Biodynamics and having success with it. There was one farmer who was just over the moon about finding a worm in his wheat field - who would have thought worms and wheat could co-exist :wink:

That's my two cents

5. thepoolroom

thepoolroom Junior Member

I caught the repeat last night too. It was very inspiring.

I think it's telling that the CSIRO was angry that this guy was actually using his spare time to get out there with farmers helping to improve their soil and boost their productivity and profitability, and felt that conflicted with his work. They should be rewarding and encouraging people with that kind of passion, rather than stifling it.

6. rona

rona New Member

By Dr Ron Alexander

What a gutsy individual Maarten Stapper is.
    His dedication epitomizes what ‘extraordinary’ as distinct from ordinary science is about. His courage in the face of adversity stands as an example to all who see themselves as inventors. The tenacity he has shown in transforming dreams into reality positions him as a national hero and acts as a shining light of encouragement to all who are seeking to improve their and other people's lot.

Ron Alexander
    Australian Institute of Innovation

7. waterwheel

waterwheel Junior Member

To find out more about Maarten and his work, check out when and where he is next speaking and review the catalogue of reports and articles visit Dr Maarten Stapper's official website https://www.biologicagfood.com.au