Around water troughs

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by Flatland, May 5, 2016.

1. Flatland

Flatland Member

Not sure if this should be in caring for animals or caring for land but never mind
    My problem is on very sandy soil the area around water troughs gets turned into dust, in which nothing can grow. In winter there is not enough rain to make the areas boggy so that isn't the problem. The problem is bare areas and summer dust. I have a lot of subsoil clay and broken up limestone from the house building. So my thought is if I spread that in the areas and then try to grow Kikuyu or couch grass to hold the area. As I am planning on doing this at watering points I would be able to water the grass to help it get established. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Go for it Flatland, that is exactly what I would do. The clay will help the sand hold water and give some body for roots to hold onto. Couch grass would be perfect for holding your new soil in place and if you add a mulch layer on top, worms will come.

3. Flatland

Flatland Member

Thanks Bryant. Hadn't thought about mulching on top. I've got old mouldy hay that I can use. I take it you think couch would be better than kikuyu. It is easier for me to get couch runners than kikuyu so that suits me.