Aromatherapy and essential oils - use with burns

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Suzie, Feb 12, 2009.

1. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Agreed sun burn, I was just expanding on the fact not all essential oils are appropriate for everybody or EVERY BODY...

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I have worked with, and played with essential oils for 30 years.
    I love them. They are great for all sorts of ills.
    They are rapidly absorbed though the skin. In fact this is probably the best way of taking them.
    Sandalwood oil will be working as an antispectc in the urinary tract within 10 minutes of wearing it on the skin for example and is therefore good for Urinary Tract infections.
    All I was saying is treat them with the respect they deserve.Especially if you are using them in your job day in day out.

As for lavender oil there are so many types and sub types and crap dilutions and extenders on the market that you need to be careful.
    I have been involved in buying Industrial job lots and even when you know what you think you are doing the are many traps. Convetional testing machines like Chromatography are often no better than a trained nose
    Chamomile The alpha-bisabolol in the oil promotes granulation and tissue regeneration.
    More from above article
    Folk remedies
    Along with the idea in the 1880s that immediate treatment of burns to prevent exposure to the air alleviates pain and prevents further damage [36] and [39], came the suggestion by Martin in 1886 that “the best treatment for severe burns in the first instance is to use what is near to hand, for it is necessary that the air should be excluded from a burn as quickly as possible” [39]. Many people seem to live by that idea today as most common household liquids have been recommended as first aid to treat burns. There are reports in the literature of treatment with ink [77], soy sauce or oil [78], toothpaste [79] and [80], honey [79], eggs [81], butter [81] and traditional African wound treatments (mud, burned snail shell, beaten eggs, leaves, a mixture of urine and mud and cow dung) [82].
    8. Conclusions and recommendations
    Although most authorities recommend the use of cold water, there is still debate over the best temperature of water to use, the most appropriate duration of application and the delay after the burn in which the treatment is still effective. The wide array of different treatments used probably stems from the fact that a raw fresh burn exposed to the air is incredibly painful and simply by covering it (with anything), pain may be relieved to some extent, giving a perceived benefit. A second issue is that as most burns observed clinically are of unknown depth, it is difficult to compare treatment outcomes. A superficial burn will heal rapidly, without scarring, independently of treatment application, and this may lead to some agents appearing to be more efficacious than those applied to deeper burns. To date, there is little supporting data for various first aid treatments and there are few published studies examining alternative or natural treatments. There is a definite need for the public to be given clear first aid recommendations which are based on good scientific evidence. Based on the evidence to date, the recommendations regarding the best first aid treatment for burns should be to use cold running tap water (between 2 and 15 °C) and to not use ice or alternative therapies. However, the optimum duration of first aid application and the delay after the injury for which first aid can still be effective are two areas of research which need further exploration.