Are Indian Runner ducks slightly demented?

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by mouseinthehouse, Jan 30, 2013.

1. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

I love my Indian Runners, I really do, but boy are they neurotic.

They spend each night in a large secure run where they have a paddling pool and their feeder and drinking water. Each morning I let them out and they take off out the door like a bullet out of a gun and then march all the way over to the other side of the house and camp under a large bush for most of the day. Late in the afternoon they forage around a bit. Then before dark they come back to their pen.

They stand outside the door of the pen for about 20 minutes bobbing heads and trying to decide if its safe to go in. Round and round they go until someone decides to be brave and take the lead. Then they all pile in and are happy. If the slightest thing is different or out of place in their run they have a fit and won't go in.

Last night the drinking water dish was knocked off its cement block. Terror. It was 9pm and my partner had to come and get me because the ducks refused to go in. We spent 15 minutes trying to gently herd them in. After 15 minutes I wanted to strangle them.

This morning I open the door and there is panic as four of them rush out flapping and freaking and two just freak out and refuse to go out. Eventually one of the two blunders out but one stayed put. :(:

Just what I need - dazed and confused ducks. :D

2. annette

annette Junior Member

Hi MITH

When I was getting ducks I investigated indian runners. Apparently they can be nervous timid and excitable. I read that they calm down sometimes over time. Remember the movie, "Babe" with that indian runner duck? It was just like that. That's why I got muscovies. Miss them too. Love ducks.

3. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day MITH

My Nana had Khaki Campbells, and from memory, they were pretty much unflappable (pardon the pun).

Cheerio, Markos

4. mouseinthehouse

Nervous, timid and excitable - yep that sums it up. Trust me to get highly strung ducks. I guess they fit in with every other being at our place then. lol

5. annette

annette Junior Member

:) what they lack in temperament, they make up with entertainment value. They are hilarious to watch.

6. mouseinthehouse

True annette, but just not at 9.30 pm - I lost my sense of humour last night lol!

7. Curramore1

Curramore1 Junior Member

Primary Producer
    Curramore, Blackall Range, S E Queensland, Aust.
    Climate:
    Sub-tropical to temperate 2000mm rain, elevated 350-475m
    Just might be a bloody great carpet snake camped somewhere in their pen waiting for the right moment?

8. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Are Indian Runner ducks slightly demented?
    Yes, but probably less so than most people

The Domestic Fowl Trust in England (where else) had a variety that looked like it was wearing a Scottish Tam O'Shanter,-- a little jauntily to the side-- so they looked liked Scottish ducks that had suprisngly survived hanging for treason (thus the long necks) and were a little proud of it.

PS/ BTW
    This is a warning to everyone about a new scam that is doing the rounds on the net
    Indian Runners would be no good at this They always look guilty of something
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/598730_500801853291714_892631812_n.jpg

9. annette

annette Junior Member

LOL good one M!

10. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Interesting. So this is what I am getting myself into this spring. I have on order 9 Chocolate Indian Runners. Does anyone cut the wings of runner ducks? >.>

11. mouseinthehouse

Don't worry about clipping the wings. All mine have their full wing feathers and they can barely get off the ground!
    Chocolate ones sound very pretty. They are lovely really, but the biggest thing I think is being very quiet and patient with them and sticking to a routine. :)

12. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Thank you for the advice. :)