Aquaponics course.

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Steve J., Oct 17, 2005.

1. Steve J.

Steve J. Junior Member

This aquaponics course looks interesting, shame it's so far away. Perhaps you could set up and run an aussie version of this Joel???

https://rps.uvi.edu/AES/Aquaculture/UVIShortCourse.html

I'll be away in South Australia for the next few weeks scratching my bum and bumping into stuff whilst my brain and body functions get some synchronization back (i.e. on holidays). See you all when I get back. Christopher will be acting in my position as purveyor of fine nonsense and poo-bum-fart jokes.

Toodles
    Steve

2. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

The only course available in the world so far as I know.....
    (note to others, if the link doesn't work, take out the last full stop in the address.)

Go Steve....... :D Enjoy your time resychronizing.... :D

3. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Joel,

You should consider doing the same sort of thing. You have so much info... You'd be good at this...

C

4. christopher

Bump again for Joel.

Joel, you could do this, and your aquaponics system :wav: is so much prettier to look at, with the polycultural aspect of your plantings, succesional harvesting cycles, neat tanks (both tidy and nifty), and that YOU did it. UVI's aquaponics (no wave for them...) looks industrial and has tilapia (yuck)and all I saw was lettuce... oooh, how simple , how retro futuro, how very un-groovy compared to OTHER aquaponics :wav: experts I (virtually) know...... also UVI has a biotechnology dept, which is messed up and, in my opinion, because they are promoting this stupid reductionist GE technology negates the positive work they are doing in aquaponics.

You could pretty easily establish yourself as the worlds foremost small scale aquaponics expert/consultant, and a good place to start is by offering one day courses to interested people.

This forum, the other part about courses, is a good place for you to advertise for free. Make it a class with a meal, charge a reasonable price, and you will become the expert you are, already. I have haassed you already :lol: about this, but a monthly course would be great!

If this is the direction you want to go, which I think would be doing the world a favor, a good way to start is to do the sort of educating you do on your DVD. You could make a set lesson plan, work your way through the process, break for lunch, eat food produced by the system, and resume the workshop.

I am a big fan of you and what you are doing, and if you want to make aquaponics your bread earner (without selling fish and veggies, which I completely understand), a good way to do that is by educating people.

Thursday we are hosting 8 high school kids from Tumulkin School of Learning, which is a school that works to educate Kekchi and Mopan Maya kids in agriculture as well as computer literacy. It is a great school, and our friend Nikki, a Peace Corps, is coming with the students to make a garden bed and talk about gardening. They will also get our farm tour, where we talk about biodiversity in agriculture, problems of annual cropping, soil loss, and the multiple benefits of stacked polycultures.

One of the students is blind, so we don't know how that will pan out as we have never had a blind person here.

It's good for us. It keeps us in practice with hosting groups, and we reach some of the people we are hoping to target with information. It's pro bono, so no cash flow to the project, but good community relations, and it sounds like it'll be fun!

Getting back to you, Joel, YOU CAN DO THIS BETTER THAN UVI!

Christopher

5. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

bump...

Just to annoy everyone :axe:

6. christopher

Bump again, Joel. Still wainting for an answer...

C

7. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

I'm just not going to be able to let this one slip by am I? :)

I guess I'm trying to dodge the subject a little because I have never really been one for the teaching roll.. I have had this discussion with my parents before. They are involved with the 'centre for sustainabile living' in Denmark W.A., and they have been pushing the idea that I should run a course down there...

Have just spoken with the tank manufacturer this morning and he is getting back to me with some prices for custom tanks, wholesale. I'm trying to see how cheap I can get things to find out whether it's viable to make small systems and market them directly to people who can't be bothered making a system themselves, or don't want to come to the course which might be happening one day.. :? ...

Also I've been speaking with a man in New Zealand who is looking at making and selling aquaponic systems to schools to be used as an 'applied learning apparatus', sounds very official when he puts it like that. Now theres an idea, we could do with getting something like this into schools before the next generation become totally disconnected from nature and natural systems.... I wonder how many schools would be interested....? Damn more and more to do....

(Notice how I still managed to sidetrack the issue )

:D

8. christopher

Ahem, yes, I noticed.....

Joel, for many reasons, you gotta do it. You are good at this. Your system is absolutely gorgeous. Your system has so much to offer, and your book, dvd and cd are so filled with info.

Perhaps building kits, complete with contracting for installation is a way to go, but education is sooooo-o-o-o-o-ooo important! And Joel, (your prolly reeeeeel tired of hearing this, .... but get used to it.....), the world needs this. You are thr right man with the right skills.

If "teaching" is difficult, try "demonstrating", :lol: .

I want to see more of these systems being built, and I think you could do this.

I'll try to stop pushing, but, Joel, what you have done and are doing is awesome. Your particular expertise and skill set are wonderful. Now you need to consider developing the "teacher" or "demonstrator" or "aquaponics tecnhician :wav:" in you.

The Kiwi has a good idea. You should be doing it, tho...

(I am SUCH a pushy Yank, aren't I? Insufferable....)

C

9. Penny

Penny Junior Member

Aquaponics

Go for it Joel,
    I'm with the delightful Christopher on this one. Yous system is brilliant. Hey if you are shy with the teaching part. I'm a teacher and can give you help and support in that area, and would feel privileged to assist. Pushy teacher, bit like a pushy yank hey Christopher?
    Joel your system has so much going for it and you should reap benefits from your effort, and it is to important a development to not spread.

10. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

We'll have to catch up for a beer and have a bit of a chat about it then Penny, next week sometime maybe.... Don't tell the pushy yank about it though or he'll get jealous.. :D

I have a disk here for you too.... I'll pm you later... :D

11. Penny

Penny Junior Member

Sounds good. I'll bring the beer!

12. christopher

Hey, you guys, whadabout meeee-e-e-e-eee (whine) :cry: ?

Wish I could be there.... booo hoooooooo wahhh!

TPY

13. Penny

Penny Junior Member

We could send pictures!!!!!

14. christopher

Very minor consolation for me, missing the fun. Photos... hrumph.... I'll take them!

You guys are soooo-oo-o-o-ooooo lucky to be able to hang out together. I feel like I live on another planet.

Christopher

15. Penny

Penny Junior Member

Never mind, maybe we can visit some time. I seriously want to see what others are doing. Just imagine what people working together could achieve! :D

16. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Just spoke to the tank manufacturer and he is wrapped with the aquaponics thing.. He's coming down early next week to drop me off some more tanks to play with, I'm making the small transportable demo system, he's giving them to me for a copy of the book/cd/dvd, at his suggestion...

When I mentioned the possibilities of a course he jumped at the idea and he's in, he's very keen to discuss things further with me, though I think a lot of his motivation is probably backed by $.. He sees sales of his tanks increasing, though he has suggested that we can work out a pricelist for some standard sized tanks and growbeds for a good price .. I didn't have the heart to tell him that most people I knew wanted to build systems with cheap plastic containers, old bath tubs etc....

Thanks for the gentle pushing Big C .....

Now about yourself......... Have you begun the Maya mountain research farm big book of biodiversity.....?

You have to write something.............!!!!!!!!!!!

17. christopher

Joel,

I wouldn't fret what his motivation is too much.

Listen, if this sells more tanks for him, all is good! I am not anti-business if the business is good for the planet. I sell and install solar systems as a sideline to what we are doing here, I buy panels and controllers, inverters and overcurrent protection, batteries and wind turbines from BIG companies. They make money, I make some, my clients end up with a renewable energy system that is well designed and expertly installed, and I believe in what I am doing. I love the work when I can get it.

If his tanks and your installation of the systems makes you and him some money, good! It is also saving the resources of the planet, conserving water, saving soil, reducing pressure on fish populations, improving food security (improving food security, improving food security, improving food security), the system will save them money over the cost of perpetually buying food, and, it is right livelihood in everyway for you!

I don't think anyone would begrudge you from working to support yourself doing what you do! I'd rather have you making money designing and installing aquaponics systems :wav: than doing IT work, even tho I know that work is valuable, too.

Tha advantage of dealing with others is that it might make your systems more accesable by others.

Good on'ya for making the demonstration system!

I look forward to seeing/hearing more.

C (TPY)

Edited to add-no, haven't started a book yet. I'm too disorganized, too busy, both working and posting here :lol: and noone in their right mind wants to read what I write for w whole book, anyway. They either agree with me, and what's the point in readin it, or they think I'm crazy and feel threatened because the whole underpinnings of their world are undermined by my thoughts.....

But I will start to write something the day AFTER your first course. I promise. I will start working on an idea I have about food security through woody perennials in the lowland humid tropics, more of a magazine article than a book, and I'll even submit it to a few places so they can look at it, maybe even publish it, but I am waiting for you to offer a course! And I want to see photos on yer web site!

18. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Hehehehehe, there's no way out Joel !!
    And I'll bet Pw Cw has his piece on woody perennials already written and in envelopes, stamped, addressed and all! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Better get a wriggle-on Joel

19. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Joel, you haven't talked about the fishes (not that I've seen anyhew) tell us about the fishes. How do you kill them? How do you cook them? What breeds do you keep? Where do you get them? Do they/have they bred in your setup?? Were you into fishing and eating fish before you made your setup? Do you eat enough fish to keep the population/sizes of the fish right or do you give away/sell the fish?
    Fish, mate. I wanna know about the fish! :lol: :lol: