Approved EPA Compost Instruction

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by purecajn, Feb 6, 2012.

1. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Phew! I'm glad you didn't want me to make the oil! Do I have to learn how to service my car first to do this? Can I start with used cooking oil maybe? (The chooks usually get that....)

2. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day TDS

That which is scientific fact (remembering Siepmann's definition) is of much interest to me, and therefore accounts for most of my time.

That which is scientific theory (ditto) is of slightly less interest to me, and accordingly accounts for slightly less of my time.

That which is all else, accounts for the least of my time. As such, my time here has expired.

Cheerio, Markos.

3. Finchj

Finchj Junior Member

When I first opened this thread, I thought I was going to be reading: "EPA Mandates Compost Piles be certified" or some other bullshit from my wonderful government. Good to hear that the info is just basic starter stuff.

We don't have a compost pile now. I wasn't here this winter to collect the browns from our neighbors, so it didn't get done. We do have worms, but eh, not the same as a pile.

Reading the comments on composting bones, oil, etc. I wish we did have enough material to experiment! I always had a gut feeling, when throwing away bones, that we could use them for something. Maybe one day in the future.

4. TheDirtSurgeon

TheDirtSurgeon Junior Member

Why later? Put them in your compost pile now. Are you waiting for your government to tell you it's okay? Or will you take the word of someone who has been doing it for two decades?

I could photographically document the composting of bones, I suppose... but that would take as long as you doing it yourself... and I would have to work for it. To prove something that should be obvious.

5. Dzionik

Dzionik Junior Member

Bones are also the component of Terra preta besides biochar and pottery.

6. Finchj

Finchj Junior Member

Maybe because we don't have a compost pile? As I said? Although we could freeze the bones, keeping them out of dogs reach. Sheesh.

7. TheDirtSurgeon

Sorry. My bad. :(

8. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

I put all the bones in the hibachi to be burnt during the cooking of the next meal and added to the bio char

9. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

bones went into my worm farm

10. Finchj

Finchj Junior Member

How did they come out of the worm farm? And how long? If the worms and their allies in the bin can take care of bones, then we'll give it a go.

11. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    Anyone else add worm juice to the compost while turning? I've just started this last turn. Will this assist in keeping the pile hot-n-fertal or just add to the fertility

12. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Yes, I did, and I also added compost tea made from kelp, comfrey and horsetail.

13. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Me too - and tea made from soaked Singapore Daisy (I have an abundance).

14. TheDirtSurgeon

I found some of the pictures I took of the motor oil experiment. The first pic shows the pile. Mounded behind/around it is all the field bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis) I had to pull out of it just so I could pitchfork it to the sifter screen. Some of the healthiest bindweed I've ever seen, matter of fact. The pile was chock-full of its roots.

So... either the stuff was pretty well cleaned up, or we have a new use for bindweed. 4 gallons of used oil, folks. It was wet, slick, black, and shiny when it started.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]