Apple tree rootstock

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Mirrabooka, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Mirrabooka

Mirrabooka Junior Member

I began an experiment inspired by nature and germinated a bunch of Apple seeds, grew them into seedlings then planted them out. To my pleasure, one, and only one, seedling has grown magnificently, despite pretty horribly dry conditions this year, with no irrigation. I guess Natural selection has grown the right rootstock for the soil conditions here on our block. I had thought of grafting onto this plant, but now I am wondering if I can cultivate this plant as rootstock supply for a little apple orchard.

I welcome any suggestions as to how I cultivate this little plant into root stock multiples for the next step in this little project.

2. Australian Beekeeper

Australian Beekeeper Junior Member

3. Mirrabooka

Mirrabooka Junior Member

Thanks Beekeeper,
    The cuttings article is very helpful. I was under the impression that apple cuttings were a flop, but clearly, from the research presented, not so, so long as 'bottom heat' is provided. Any thoughts about how to provide 'bottom heat' recommended in the article?
    Peter
    Mirrabooka Permaculture

4. Australian Beekeeper

Australian Beekeeper Junior Member

I would try and do it with a heat mat and thermostat. But that is just because that is what I have available. In fact if I was trying to do it I would even be tempted to first try a mix of softwood and hardwood cuttings without the bottom heat and resort to that when/if it didn't work. I have never done it so would try that if I couldn't find more recent research/methods. I am sure there is more info out there though If you have a search or ring around, the article I linked was just one I read recently :)

5. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    The easiest method is air layering, since once you see roots forming a ball in the layering it's ready to be cut loose and planted.

If you are going to root apple tree cuttings, some 6% root tone is advisable to get the cutting off to a fast start. Heat mats will be necessary too. Score the bottom of the cutting and dip in the root tone then plant in 4" to6" pot filled with a non fertilizer potting medium. set on the heat mat and cover for the first week. Optionally you can mist the potting mix every day to keep the moisture level up for optimal rooting. Once you see new leaves opening, you are almost ready to call the cutting a new plant, when the second set of new growth comes out you can plant in a larger pot to grow your root stock.