Apple cider

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by gbell, May 24, 2008.

1. gbell

gbell Junior Member

[paradisi"]
    Great to hear! Aussies don't seem to be much into cider but I find it to be a nice break from beer and wine. I tried to "just do it" (ie. not read much) and made cider once using filtered apple juice. Wait a dumb idea - turns out apple juice doesn't have much appleness to it - ferment the sugars away and you're left with just water and alcohol! Yuck!

What's the best way to get large-enough-to-be-worth-it quantities of unfiltered apple juice? Pick up apples from the farmgate and squeeze all your own?

2. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

Re: Apple cider

i've seen the off farm production in the south of england - lots of windfall apples and a rat make up the brew... and it tastes great

I live on the sunshine coast - no apples so I use the shop bought tin of cider brew mix to do my cider

when my granadilla fruit is ripe I should have enough to make up a brew (if I can beat off She Who Must Be Obeyed) and I'll try and make that like a cider brew

3. petal

petal Junior Member

Re: Apple cider

Hi gbell,
    The latest edition of Grass Roots magazine (No 186 April/May) has an article on making your own cider by Pete the Permie. It doesn't help with you question about sourcing apples, but has a number of ways to juice them. Just thought it may be of interest. He has other Grass Root articles on his website (https://www.petethepermie.com/), but not this one yet.
    Cheers,
    Petal