Anyone know where I can get Morel mushroom spawn in Australia?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by rtlillico, Jul 12, 2014.

1. rtlillico

rtlillico Junior Member

Hi, I live in North West Tasmania and would like to experiment with growing Morel mushrooms. I researched this on the internet and found that it is possible to purchase Morel spawn in a growing kit, and then mix it in a prepared bed outdoors with woodchips.

I ordered one of these growing kits from the United States but unfortunately it didn't make it though customs.

If anyone could help me it would be much appreciated.

2. Tasman

Tasman Junior Member

There is a guy down in Cygnet who has imported spores (from Europe I believe). I don't think he has grown them yet.

I see him most weeks at the market (which is on next Sunday). I'll ask him for info and report back.

I too am very interested in growing morels.

cheers,
    tas

3. rtlillico

rtlillico Junior Member

Ok great, thanks Tasman!

4. Tasman

Tasman Junior Member

I spoke with the guy. I'm not sure of the correct term, but he is growing additional spores from the ones he has. He is not ready to sell any yet, but will be soon. I'm personally interested in this project so I do ask him how its going every time I see him. I'll shoot you a message when he's got some available.

I'd like to see them held by multiple people, so when I'm ready to start growing them, I'll be able to find them.

His shipment was also stopped by customs and they declared it had been destroyed. Then about a month later, they arrived at his door!

cheers,
    tasman

5. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

https://www.gmushrooms.com/MHK.HTM

Note the videos on growing Morels as well.

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

I have imported pumpkin seeds from the US legally
    It might be worth asking customs about the rules for mushrooms
    Tasmania and WA would be way more difficult than the rest of Australia I would imagine.
    Even moving stuff internally is tough.

7. rtlillico

rtlillico Junior Member

Thanks Tasman,

Wow, lucky guy, I guess he's got a bit of a niche then, hope they aren't too expensive! Apparently they are pretty unpredictable and can take up to seven years to fruit, so hopefully we are lucky and his grow quickly.

8. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    my brother used to mushroom hunt morels quite a bit and he has gotten them established by rinsing the mushrooms in cool water and then dumping that water in various places.

we had no morel mushrooms around here until this past spring one came up right next to the house. i have only done the rinse and pour water around in a few areas and this was not one of them so it can be fairly unpredictable where they might end up once you have them going in an area.

as we do have wild morels around the spores that fruited here could have come in from those and had nothing to do with what i've done. i dumped the rinse water just a few years ago.