Anyone heard of this?

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by eco4560, Nov 20, 2013.

1. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

The Funnel Effect. My mum (who is obviously hanging out with the wrong crowd) just sent it to me. I need something suitable to toss back at her to refute it….

I reckon a lot more insects get poisoned by fossil fuels.

2. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

i wish my mum sent me stuff like that.

there is no refuting the funnel effect;

but i find the context bent...insects!?

"then you’ve created an ecosystem-wide population sink that can metaphorically “funnel” individual animals from a wide stretch of habitat to a single spot where they meet their demise."

these are called cities.

the funnel effect is a human condition more than an insects

in both contexts there can be engineered solutions;,,,but no one gives a shit about the one, because they don't give a shit about the other.

what i find most boggling - is which is the 'one' and which is the 'other'.

k

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

It struck me as a fairly lame attempt to prove that solar power is damaging to the environment and of course fossil fuels are squeaky clean. The fires that burn out the top of oil refineries must be so pure that they don't attract insects to them. They merely light the way for the tooth fairy on her evening sojourn….

4. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

5. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

my signature move, my special play,,,"the Long Shot"

the flame colour is 'light' perhaps not so attractive to a moth,,,i think of an orange flame....if insects were attracted, and i propose they are not - then natural fire would have halted their evolution as a species way back - wouldn't it?

on the particular solar panel discussion; scale is everything, and there is logically a benign scale - but the chances of that being of the old scale of things , like cities look slim.
    the decentralisation into more manageable units of human settlement provides opportunities to scale solar deployments - minimising transmition distances and obtaining scaler efficiencies as the environment demands....

this is the Permaculture take as espoused by Holmgrens 4 options in the Descent ( this i found out about 2 days ago! ) (anyway it turned me into PermaKim again)

so it seems like the old pattern is intersecting with the new pattern and some non patterning goes on before the system stabilises to the new stable pattern -
    so now is opportunity window to really bang the drum on the design issues like your old girl is doing.

the scale is bogus where funnelling of a scaler equivalent just logically spells out eco disaster....taking out massive populations of insects is rock ape stupid - try telling that to gen y that missed the message of Rachel Carlson's 'Silent Spring' .

i council (ha!), that we do not refute the old girl, rather we embrace her 'designers eye' and call her Permaculture. ( if she has a parsley plant it is a shoe in );)

cheers,
    k

6. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    The Palen solar project is a focusing solar thermal plant (which I didn't know until I checked out the site). I can see how the frying could happen near the focal point:

[​IMG]

https://www.brightsourceenergy.com/palen

7. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    A little more depth on the subject:

https://www.kcet.org/news/rewire/commentary/usfws-mysterious-funnel-effect-harming-wildlife-at-unnamed-solar-plant.html

8. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

The article relates to large solar projects. 10 solar panels on my roof is hardly going to have the same effect. Of course, 10 solar panels on my roof isn't going to make anyone rich either, and there lies the problem.

9. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Kimbo she doesn't have a parsley plant but she makes one heck of a good compost pile. (It's in the genes…) I think your point about scale is very wise. Centralised anything is daft.

She now denies it came from her. Which I believe because it isn't her style to be inflammatory. So I deleted it and moved on. We are going to explore a few op shops together tomorrow. And possibly check out the compost pile.

10. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

NASA & JPL have been working on solar furnaces since the 70's. IF this article about the funnel effect was true we would of heard about it by now.

I was hoping the funnel effect was a Schauberger 2 degree water anomaly thing.

11. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

Solar energy can't be scaled up to monopoly utility advantage, now it can't be scaled up ecologically either.

I suspect this information would be used as a political tool.

12. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Did you see the first comment under the article? The user wants to use the article to blast liberals. WTF is that about?!

13. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Is it a problem? Why does someone always have to get rich off of someone else? Human nature can change.

14. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

Politics is a business about controlling people's thoughts.

15. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

I work with a lot of non-profits, and even they are always worried about money. It costs nothing to make a garden, but for some reason they don't want to hear it. Whenever I read something about...I don't know, anything really, it's always down to the economic impact. When Mardi Gras and the Superbowl are going on down here, the news reporters always ask visitors how much money they spent. I can't see this attitude ending any time soon. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with it, but it just seems to be the majority as far as the US goes.

16. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member