Anyone from Sydney, Southern highlands or goulburn?

Discussion in 'General chat' started by chooky, Oct 10, 2006.

1. chooky

chooky Junior Member

Hello I am new here.

*waves*

My screen name sums me up... I love my chooks!
    I live near Picton nsw and am hoping there might be members from the highlands, macarthur or Goulburn areas I could make new pals with as I don't know too many likeminded souls.

I am limited to train/bus/pony(when she behaves..er never) foot and pedal power. So I can visit anyone along the train line between syd and goulburn...maybe even Canberra on a good day! If you are on the Thirlmere loop line thats fine too. Or if you drive you can visit me if you like.

I would love to chat to anyone who loves all things poultry, plants, animals in general and living the simple life iin the bush/country. Or anyone stuck in the burbs who is still trying to do the best they can with what they have.

I want to start a poultry fanciers group in the Wollondilly shire, but anyone outside that area willing to travel is welcome.

I only decided today that I am going to do this.. mainly because I want to meet others and start up a network for people in my district to meet, share info, learn and trade poultry and related goods.

I have found it hard to meet anyone near me with intersting poultry or goods for sale or swap etc, which is weird because I here roosters and ducks wherever I go.

Has anyone had experience with setting something like this up? I was thinking of just printing some flyers and dropping them around town inviting people to join. It will be free, unless we have a meeting, and I would just encourage everyone to pitch in for lunch or tea.

I would also love to find some penpals from anywhere at all.

I love people with their own ideas, who are bit odd or eccentric and have their own style.
    I am also an artist and studying to be a garden designer.

Sarah.

2. turkey

turkey Junior Member

Hi chooky,

Nice intro. :)
    I live over at Hammondville and love a chook or two and Picton isnt that
    far away from "Hammo" which is also part of Liverpool as you would most probably know.
    Be nice to keep in touch with you. 8) 8)

Regards,
    Turkey. :D

3. chooky

chooky Junior Member

Hi
    I think I put my email in my profile, otherwise pm me and introduce yourself!
    I was starting to worry that noone would reply to this :)

Sarah.

4. monero_the_peasant

monero_the_peasant New Member

Re: Anyone from Sydney, Southern highlands or goulburn?

Hi Chooky
    I am from Goulburn, I live in a rented house out near the old psychiatric hospital at kenmore. Although we rent i'm a keen gardener and I like to learn about permaculture, i feel we are custodians that rent the earth anway, we never really own it, it owns us. After my honeymoon i'm getting some chooks, probably Chinese Silkies because they cant fly and I love them anyway. My wife (fiance) said i can build my vegie patch after the honeymoon and wedding, as we are having the wedding inthe garden. Ive bought some bathtubs for aquatic edibles as well as frog habitat.

Goulburn is cool and dry, but i reckon we get enough water for permaculture. We probably get more than the dead sea in jordan where permaculture was a success!

Kenmore hospital has beautiful botanic gardens and quite a few fruit trees (as well as highly illegal but delicious blackberries) and it is situated by the wollondilly river. I have access to the hospital and i am seeking permissionto look after the fruit trees.

Great to chat with you

stuart monero_the_peasant

5. thepoolroom

thepoolroom Junior Member

I'm down the hill and down the coast, in Kiama. Not that far away, though.

I've also got black silkies and a cuckoo leghorn (https://green-change.com/2008/11/27/our- ... o-leghorn/), and a bit of an organic vegie patch. We've got big plans for fruit trees, rainwater collection etc as well.

I'm not sure if you can get down this way very easily, but Dapto seems to have a very active poultry club (https://www.daptopoultryclub.com/).

Good luck!

6. rhyshowitt

rhyshowitt Guest

Hi,

I'm from Goulburn, or strictly Yarra. Our place is described at www.cockatricefarm.com.au.

I'm thinking of having a barbeque and inviting local permies to come -- maybe this September. So I'm putting myself forward as a Permaculture Goulburn contact.

Cheers,

Rhys

7. VanillaCupcake

VanillaCupcake Junior Member

Hi!

Welcome to the site! :D
    My name is also Sarah and I am from Sydney. I love chooks too and am hoping to get some shortly.

Cheers!

8. spritegal

spritegal Junior Member

Hi chooky

I'm in the northern villages of the southern highlands. There is a very active permaculture group here, we meet regularly and have educational workshops and social get togethers regularly. If you are interested PM me with your details.

Cheers

sprite

9. PRAWN

PRAWN Junior Member

Gday guys
    I'm new to this forum aswell. Will somebody please be my friend. We can meet up for a decaf chai soy fair trade mocca latte? I'm at Mount Annan...you know the place. Send us a line!

Prawn over and out
    (that includes you chookie!)

10. reverb

reverb New Member

Just another newbie tipping my toes into learning about permaculture and indeed chooks, having just moved to Picton with my family.

Count me in for any local meetups and gatherings, would love to see examples of how it can work in this climate - being on the border between the cooler Bowral area and the much warmer Campbelltown areas I'm not exactly sure of the best way to go.

Glad to have found other interested people, hope to hear from you soon!

11. Lidya

Lidya New Member