anyone else using Google Earth?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by forest, Nov 7, 2005.

1. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

ah don't be so content, there a MAC viruses to ... They are called MACS ?

If anyone wants to be virus free, try Linux and an email scanner..

2. forest

forest Junior Member

I thought I was covered with my norton antivirus set on auto updates + auto windows updates. WRONG! I got a virus from ebay that wiped out my system. :?

I dumped Norton and am now covered with a variety of totally free software. I've been feeling pretty secure lately. :) No problems for six months. I wonder if it will last.

3. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Nortons normally isn't to bad, however it is very resource hungry.. Symantec Corporate Edition is very good as it isn't as bloated as the house hold edition. ClamAV is a good free ware as is AVG however be a little wary as they can be a little behind in virus updates.

One thing to look out for when setting up auotmatic updates, is setting it to check everyday.. Most patterns come out every 2 weeks, however if there is an outbreak, the virus companies issue a special release. Also make sure that in your setting that if the scanner cannot clean to either quarantine, or delete it.

In most cases now, virus software isn't enough. You need spyware and exploit scanners as well.. This has been discussed on here to some lenght before..

4. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Funny how things change in a few years 4 years ago when i got my computer the only virus i had to wory about was the one i may catch from other people at work...now its Computer viruses,Or Bird flu viruses....

If it wasnt so serious one could laugh!!!!

Tezza

5. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Hey there Pete,

We too have brown snakes and red belly blacks...and tigers, but they do their thing and we do ours - the only time we get to see them is when it is really dry and they come in for a drink - I'm usually more fascinated than out for their blood. We do a lot of bush walking and remain alert and act sensibly - if you see a snake easiest thing to do is freeze - most snakes are basically deaf and their eye sight is not their major sense and they will slither on past with out even registering that you are there. It's smell and mostly movement that they pick up on. I'm horrified that people will swerve on the road to run over a snake - that is just nasty. :cry:

What sort of motorbike do you ride? :wink: I'm a curious creature :D

Cheers,
    Fran.

6. bazman

bazman Junior Member

7. forest

forest Junior Member

Dan, you should try Avast. It's the best thing since sliced bread. My system was set up by my computer tech and he has covered me comprehensively with spyware catchers, also the new windows spy thing is excellent, and still free.

8. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Cheers for that Forest, but I'm pretty hapy with my setup. I have hardware and software firewall, Symantec Antivirus 9 Corp edition, and all the spyware stuff you can imagine.

I have a 1.5mb connection to the internet 24/7 so I have to be a little extra cautious.. As I run a web and mail server as well.