Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by ecodharmamark, Jul 8, 2009.

1. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day All

I have landed a role in doing some preliminary planning for this thing (don't take too much notice of the political spin):

https://www.jacintaallan.com/File.axd?id ... 7661806437

Any suggestions on how we might incorporate some permie ideas into it?

Now before you get too carried away, and start thinking 'giant herb spirals' (although that might not be as silly as it sounds. Why should'nt a 21st C medical faciltiy incorporate TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine), and actually grow the herbs onsite? Apparently it happens quite a bit in most large teaching hospitals these days. The TCM bit, at least)... we need to remember that this community could be described as 'conservative', so any permie stuff might have to be dressed-up as 'sustainable development', if you get my drift. Maybe some 'green walls', or even a 'green roof' (edible, of course)? But don't let me stifle your creativity. Just want you to be aware of the 'climate' that we have to work in.

I've been around permaculture for a few years now, sort of evolved towards it after many years of involvement with the eco-anarchy movement (see: link below), so I have a fair amount of knowledge about introducing permacultural concepts to folk in a manner that does'nt have them automatically thinking, 'whacko'. I actually coined the phrase 'permaculture by stealth' back in 2005, whilst completing my PDC.

https://eng.anarchopedia.org/eco-anarchism

Anyway, an opportunity like this does not come along everyday. So I thought I would throw the concept out to you good people. Whataya reckon? Can we make this thing a truly 'green' development? And remember, it's not just the building we are planning here, it's the entire precinct! Effectively nine blocks! We need to really start to push the boundaries in terms of forward ('scenario') planning. Let's just say, that I will be introducing the concept of 'planning for hundreds of years, rather than just decades'.

A few examples of recent 6 star green buildings follow. Surely we can do better than these?

https://www.stockland.com.au/Commercial/ ... rth/About/

https://www.mcec.com.au/About/MCEC-Compl ... tives.html

and the one that started it all...

https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/rsrc/PD ... tWorks.pdf

BTW - I'll be pushing for 6 star-plus.

The green building categories are listed here:

https://www.gbca.org.au/green-star/green-star-overview/

I (we) look forward to your valued input.

Cheerio, Mark.

2. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

3. Phil Hansen

Phil Hansen Junior Member

Re: Any suggestions?

Hi ecodharmamark,
    The PM is down, how can I contact you?
    Interesting project, great opportunity to make permanent changes to the way these projects are planned. planning is intimatley linked to permaculture in creating sustainable human settlements. Healthy gardens around a health facility? Radical.
    Phil

4. ecodharmamark

G'day Ojo

Thanks for the links, I'll add them to the raft of research leads that I will be following up over the next few weeks/months.

G'day Phil

I have emailed your business address. Looking forward to meeting you.

G'day All

Well, my very brief preliminary studies on the subject have provided me with an understanding of the growing movement right around the world that aims to make our hospitals very green indeed. 'Radical' suggests Phil, let's hope so.

Recently my father underwent heart surgery at the Austin in Melbourne, and my only recollections of the public spaces around and through this wonderful, caring, healing and learning centre were of concrete, the odd patch of turf, and a few 'natives'.

These recollections, together with the above brief, have got me thinking...

"Can Australia's hospitals go green?"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 287416.htm

I say yes, yes we can!

Please keep sending those links, good people.

Cheerio, Mark.

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Years ago I visited Port Arthur in Tassie and they had planted a display garden around the Doctor's house of traditional medicinal plants. Each had some info about what it was and what it was used for. That might be interesting to do....

As some one who spends a fair bit of time around hospitals (as a provider not user) I'll offer the following insights -
    1. Any publicly accessible areas will end up being turned into unofficial smoking places, trampled to death and littered with buts. Or car parking.
    2. Being able to look out a window and into a lush green setting is therapeutic both for patients and staff. Even better if there are birds / reptiles. Frogs however might annoy the night time noise sensitive types....
    3. No one will look after it once the job is complete.
    4. The best working gardens around hospitals I have seen have been large enclosed courtyard gardens with no public access, but you can look into it from many angles. Keeps the smokers out, and any poor sods looking for a place to sleep for the night.

6. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

G'day
    Almost sounds too sensible to be actually happening!
    I agree that whatever is created there needs to be some 'stewardship' role either as an adjunct to existing roles or in itself to keep it all maintained.

There are hospitals in India that have healing gardens (we're talking private of course), including pebble walkways to be walked barefoot, like a natural foot massage (for heart patients).
    Green walls are just fantastic and can be used indoors too.
    Give the smoker's their own little garden - they're people too.
    Roof gardens, sensory garden, water sounds, 'low allergy' garden, lots of seating, no steps, no curbs.
    nesting boxes - only little ideas from me.
    good luck,
    cheers

7. ecodharmamark

G'day All

Hey eco4560 and gemjill

Thanks for the great ideas; I'll add them to the melting-pot that will become the 'community consultative process' :?

Keep 'em coming, good people.

Cheerio, Mark.

PS: Currently reading works by Bookchin, Murray (1921-2006)

8. trishandpete

trishandpete Junior Member

Hi, Mark. Trish here and back online after a prolonged absence. I have been in hospital myself, after prolapsing a disc in my neck while putting in a heap more plants..... I've also had about 30 years in hospitals as a worker and would agree with the points about buts and careless stewardship of the gardens. Having said that, after volunteering in Timor (east and west) and seeing their main hospitals with wards and buildings connected by long walkways with garden beds beside that add to the kitchen, that have people out tending them and talking to guests and patients who loll in the gardens, on the grass under trees, I can't imagine anything more therapeutic. There is a need for windows that open to let in fresh air and the sounds of the outside. I disagree that frogs would be a nuisance, much nicer than the drip machines and monitors.... For every ward to have an outlet for patients to get outside would be wonderful, and having seen the effects that chickens, rabbits etc have on children in kindergartens I would also incorporate animals. There is always a system of volunteering in hospitals, and I am sure we could incorporate garden/poultry volunteers? Maybe roof gardens, even? Access by staff and patients and their visitors only? Trish

9. ecodharmamark

G'day Trish

Crikey! So sorry to learn about your neck. I truly hope that you are well on the way to a total recovery.

Thanks heaps for your valuable input re: hospital planning/design. All suggestions/ideas will be coallated and put on the table, ready for the appropriate people to sift through (I hope this group will contain general members of the community, as well as experts from the field of design).

It reads (in your other post) as though both you and Pete have been busy little beavers out on the block. I'm really looking forward to making the time to get out and have a look soon... very soon.

Work, study, family and community inputs all combine to keep me as busy as ever. However I do occasionally find the time to take a break and contemplate on the journey thus far.

Once again, stay warm and get well.

P&L, Mark.

PS: Isn't the rain just a glorious thing?