Any Idea's For A Windpowered Waterpump/Aerator?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by TheKebun, Sep 24, 2010.

1. TheKebun

TheKebun New Member

I have been looking at ways to make use of a pump to perform a few things, amongst them drip irrigate the gardens and aerate the 2 ponds. I want to minimise the use of electricity from the mains on the farm and would love to switch to solar but just too expensive. So i am looking if possible to harness windpower?

My initial idea is to use a windmill to charge batteries(?) which in turn runs the electrical pump. The wind is pretty 'ok' in the evenings so i am thinking if instead how to design the windmill instead to run a water pump directly?

Am i correct to assume that i will need to use the shaft being driven by the windmill to turn the water pump shaft but this will mean i need to have some sort of gear box which in makes the rotations fast enough to run the water pump?

I don't want to spend money on a brand new windmill and instead will prefer to build one from plans and better still if i can make it myself.

Looking forward to any comments, Cheers!

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
  3. springtide

springtide Junior Member

Fyi, windmills use a small gearbox to run a crank and turn the rotating shaft power into up and down/push and pull to run a piston pump at the base - this also makes things easier when the windmill needs to turn with the wind. Wind generators use a special alternator with many "poles" so they dont have to turn very fast to create electricity (look up fisher and paykel smartdrive + wind turbine as lots of ppl use the old washing machine motors off them as turbines) - here is also some good stuff - https://www.thebackshed.com/

4. Stingray

Stingray Junior Member

Thats definately a good site springtide :)
    am about to "start" making a F&P turbine myself.. just got the smart drive and hoping for some time this week to get started :)
    TheKebun - depending on your "wind time - ie: you said night time" specific usage will prob determine how you build it ..
    mechanical would prob be the cheapest to go with (as just rods and wheels to change direction of turns to the pump shaft)
    although I would look into a wind turbine that charges a battery to power the pumps :) then they could come on any time

5. Terra

Terra Moderator

I seen an interesting windmill photo recently cant remember where , the fan was attached to the side of the tower and the WHOLE tower turned as the wind changed direction the tower was stabilised with guy wires at the top hooked to a pivot bearing , thinking about this you could use a vehicle rear axle / differential , hook the fan on on end , pin the other end and the drive shaft could point down and drive through a open crown and pinion and stick out the side which you could drive what ever you like , could be made out of recycle materials easily.
    Regards Rob

6. Stingray

Stingray Junior Member

hrmm.. not a bad idea terra
    adding that to my "when i find a few acres" book
    *note to self .. car rear axle/diff for mechanical windmill
    :)
    and using unijoints would make easy connection points too