Ants in worm farm

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by Tulipwood, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Tulipwood

Tulipwood Junior Member

Help! I've got ants in my worm farm. What should I do?

2. permup

permup Junior Member

Hi Tulipwood

You will get all sorts of critters, including ants, in your worm farm. Expect a few cockroaches, maggots, flies, bugs, ants... oh and worm! Not to worry - they are all good for the decomposition of waste. Make sure you keep a good balance in your worm farm by watering it once a week with about a bucket-full of water (use a watering can or hose). This will keep the anaerobic activity down and stop the smell. If it is still a problem, a bit of dolomite lime sprinkled and watered in will help (just a handfull). As the balance improves the ants will be less interested anyway.

3. bonsai

bonsai Junior Member

I find that watering my worm farm once a week also flushes through some excellent plant food regularly!

Make sure you have a tap or runoff to catch the worm juice from the base of your farm!

4. Rainbow

Rainbow Junior Member

We had problems with ants in the wormfarm eating the worms. We stood the worm farm legs in icecream containers full of water and that stopped the ants from being able to climb up there.

5. bonsai

bonsai Junior Member

You dont get problems with mosquitoes Rainbow?

6. Rainbow

Rainbow Junior Member

Not usually. If I do see wrigglers in the water it just gets tipped into the garden and refill with fresh water.

7. WormsRUs

WormsRUs New Member

Bugs & insects can flourish when the compost becomes too acidic. Throw on some dolomite lime on top of or around your compost or worm farm to help deter any unwanted bugs. You might also want to consider a worm farm system. These systems can allow you to manage you compost and worm production in a more systematic way. I suggest avoid the smaller systems you find at large chain stores. These smaller kits don't seem very well equipped to deal with the large amount of green compost waste generated by typical households.

I would suggest for the average household, you consider a domestic worm farm system in the order of 240 litre capacity or more, that works on the never fill principle.

As well as producing what they call worm castings or 'worm poo', which is basically like refined garden soil, worm farm systems also have the ability to produce liquid worm concentrate, that can be diluted with water and used as plant fertilizer. Worm farm systems are a very environmentally responsible way to manage green waste.

There are certain food waste that should not be place in worm farm systems, ( such as citrus fruits and peels and other acidic food waste etc.. ) however worm farm systems can handle most other plant based food waste, like vegetable scraps, banana peels etc... These worm farm kits usually come with worm farm care instructions to guide you through the process of establishing your worm farm.

8. Ellen

Ellen Junior Member

Just yesterday I also discovered ants in my worm farm. Thanks for advice here!!

9. Ellen

Ellen Junior Member

You are talking about lime. I was wondering of crushed egg shells can also work?